NARAL Pro-Choice America and NARAL Pro-Choice America Foundation seek an Assistant Director of California programs for this dynamic, mission-driven organization that has been at the forefront of the fight for reproductive rights since its founding in 1968. NARAL has an annual budget of approximately $12 million and encompasses a 501 (c)(3), a 501 (c)(4), and a political action committee.
NARAL Pro-Choice America is the nation's leading advocate for reproductive freedom and protecting a woman's right to choose her own reproductive destiny. With more than one million members and supporters, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to mobilizing and building the base of pro-choice advocates, identifying and supporting pro-choice candidates, and advancing sound reproductive policies that support women and families at all stages of their reproductive life. These policies include preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion.
This position is responsible for the legislative and political programs of NARAL Pro-Choice America d/b/a NARAL Pro-Choice California, NARAL Pro-Choice California Foundation and PrivacyPAC. This position is responsible for developing and implementing campaigns to achieve our strategic goals including communications, advocacy, and outreach. In addition, this position is expected to identify opportunities that further the organization’s goals through dedicated campaigns, whether short term or long term. The Assistant Director should be able to manage staff including the hiring process for future staff. We are looking for someone who is strategic, innovative, well-organized, diplomatic and detail-oriented to join our small but dynamic office. A strong sense of humor is essential. This position will split its time between the ELD and CA departments (40-60).
This position is expected to direct NARAL Pro-Choice America’s electoral program in California including volunteer grassroots engagement, direct mail programs, social media campaigns, vendor management, and coordinating with campaigns. Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage the endorsement questionnaire process including reviewing current questionnaire; mailing and processing returned questionnaires; follow-up with campaigns with questions or scheduling interviews
- Research candidates and campaigns and write reports recommendations, updates and reports
- Coordinate with target campaigns to provide both messaging and grassroots support
- Develop and implement approved electoral plan of action for primary, general and special elections
- Research and compile relevant information for the PrivacyPAC Board
This position is expected to develop legislative strategies and implement campaigns to achieve our public policy goals. Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage the introduction of new bills including drafting language, identifying and meeting with key stakeholders, developing messaging and writing appropriate materials such as fact sheets, letters to the editors and OpEds
- Manage advocacy efforts to support legislative agenda including organizing Lobby Days and in-district meetings
- Coordinate and maintain relationships with coalition partners both in reproductive rights and others
- Build relationships with elected officials and their staff
- Supervise and manage Sacramento-based contract lobbyists
Administrative & Communication
- Draft communications to support specific programmatic work, including CANs, Facebook posts, website updates, and update other social media vehicles
- Conduct media outreach, as appropriate, to support target programs
- Contribute to reports, proposals, and other publications as needed
- Track all organizing, political, and legislative activities
- Supervise campus program, including recruiting campus representatives; setting goals for campus programs; tracking and supporting campus activities; overseeing intern to help implement campus program
- Hire and supervise interns
- Commitment to the full range of women’s reproductive rights
- Minimum of 4-5 years experience in legislative office, political campaigns and/or advocacy campaigns
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication, with a demonstrated ability to relate to and communicate with diverse audiences and communities.
- Strong project planning skills to handle multiple tasks.
- Comfort/willingness to work and travel throughout California, including nights and weekends.
- Proficiency with MS Outlook and Office Suite (especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Outstanding attention to detail and follow-through.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment and maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to create positive, long-term working relationships by demonstrating a commitment to teamwork and customer service, tact, dependability, diplomacy and flexibility.
- Positive approach, can-do attitude, and sense of humor
- Independent and self-motivated but also a team player
- College degree required
- Clear understanding of, and commitment to, NARAL Pro-Choice America's mission and goals.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to:
NARAL Pro-Choice California
335 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94103
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.