The press assistant for communications and media outreach works closely with the director of public affairs to coordinate traditional media communications strategies. This position’s duties include assisting in the development of organization-wide publications and media activities. This position works with and in absent of the director of public affairs to assess and respond to incoming media requests and in implementing an aggressive media outreach strategy for the state-based affiliate network. This position coordinates activities with other departments, the affiliates and generates press materials as needed.
This position is temporary - 6 months.
- Coordinates message development and dissemination throughout the organization.
- Support to affiliates for media relations and message strategy;
- Reviews and edits press releases, quotes, and other official statements;
- Manages process for collecting daily clips;
- Oversees media inquiries and develops process for meeting deadlines;
- With approval of the director of public affairs and in absent of the director of public affairs, schedules calls between NARAL Pro-Choice America experts and reporters or producers, and initiates message materials for spokespeople;
- Participates in ongoing planning activities with internal groups, affiliates, and coalition partners;
- Develops and maintains organization-wide inventory of message materials for use by national spokespeople, state affiliates, and other key allies;
- Institutes priorities and timelines for special projects performed by interns.
- Bachelor’s degree in related/appropriate field of study;
- 2+ years media-relations experience;
- Capitol Hill, advocacy, or campaign experience are ideal;
- Proven ability to develop and disseminate messaging;
- Attention to detail and accuracy;
- Fluency in Spanish highly desired;
- Demonstrated excellence in writing and communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and to handle multiple projects;
- Commitment to NARAL Pro-Choice America’s goal of building a political constituency to protect and promote the right of all women to exercise the full range of their reproductive choices, including abortion;
- Experience with writing on new-media platforms and social networks;
- Knowledge of MS Word, Access, Excel, and other programs highly desirable;
To apply for this position, please send a resume and a substantive cover letter to:
NARAL Pro-Choice America
1156 15th Street, N.W. Ste 700
Washington, DC 20005
NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer. All our positions require a sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences.