As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than one million member activists from all 50 states and network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant woman, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don't operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that works to impose their ideological agenda on others.
The primary purpose of NARAL’s Political Department is to build political power for the organization. We believe that there are three “phases of power”:
- The ability to win short-term fights like elections and legislative battles
- The ability to create, sustain, and wield permanent infrastructure for future fights
- The ability to effectively engage others in advancing not just outcomes, but worldview
The job of the department is not just to win short-term fights, but to always focus on building power for the future and effectively advancing a worldview where all women and families have the ability and the support to decide for themselves when, if and how to have children.
The Deputy Political Director works directly for the National Political Director and is responsible for a broad range of program objectives to build and strengthen NARAL’s political and issue campaign infrastructure.
The position requires a candidate to be highly collaborative, to function with a high level of autonomy, to help lead and manage multiple projects and work on time sensitive deadlines. The Deputy Political Director requires work with key stakeholders at the local, state and national level to set plans and programs that achieve multiple, shared objectives.
- Writes and implements campaign plans for electoral activities and issue campaigns on the national, state and local levels for candidates/ballot initiatives/issues endorsed or opposed by NARAL Pro-Choice America or its affiliates under the direction of the National Political Director.
- Works with national staff, NARAL affiliates and NARAL PCA staff in states to develop plans that maximize coordination, efficiency and effectiveness of all partners to support campaigns run by NARAL Pro-Choice America and its affiliates
- Ensures coordination between NARAL Pro-Choice America departments as it relates to electoral/political activities and issue campaigns
- Work with other NARAL departments, NARAL affiliates and NARAL state staff to define electoral strategy, plans and benchmarks.
- Work with NARAL departments, NARAL affiliates and NARAL state staff to integrate political strategy into issue campaign and membership acquisition efforts.
- Identify and develop relationships with key organizational partners and stakeholders in nationally and in key states
- Other duties as assigned
- College degree required;
- Demonstrated commitment to reproductive freedom and to empowering women and families to fight for the right and the ability to make their own reproductive freedom choices;
- Minimum of five years leading federal, state issue and/or electoral campaigns;
- Thorough knowledge of 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations and experience building power with both types of organizations;
- Experience working for a membership organization;
- Experience working for state legislative caucus in a policy or political capacity;
- Ability to travel and willing to work long hours and weekends, as needed;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, a must;
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills;
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks effectively;
- Sense of humor, discretion, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-pressured work environment;
- Ability to collaborate with diverse groups of colleagues, experience working with a multicultural workforce and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required.;
- Clear understanding of, and commitment to, NARAL’s mission and goals.
- Fluency in a second language is highly desirable;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of FEC regulations is highly desirable;
- Familiarity with VAN is highly desirable;
- Understanding the intersectional politics of race, class gender, etc. and commitment to cross movement building;
- Knowledge of state political party operations;
- Experience developing and implementing political education and training programs;
- Experience with ballot measure campaigns.
Location: Washington, DC (accessible by public transit). This positon is full-time and offers competitive salary and benefits package depending on experience.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and a substantive cover letter to:
Subject line: Deputy Political Director
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.