As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than one million member activists from all 50 states and network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don't operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
The state director will be responsible for organizing around the power of reproductive freedom for NARAL Pro-Choice America through at least 2018. With the number of attacks on reproductive freedom at an all-time high, it is essential to identify, educate, and mobilize a new generation of repro-activists to engage in the political process and bring true reproductive equality to America.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative, passionate, and detail-oriented self-starter that wants to continue building the Iowa presence of one of the most progressive institutions in the American political system. The position will be responsible for hiring and managing a team of organizers, establishing fundraising relationships to bolster programming, working with the national communications team to insert NARAL in the discussion around moving Iowa forward for women and families, and working closely with the NARAL Iowa Steering Committee to strategically inject NARAL into political and legislative fights.
Reports to National Campaigns Director
This is position is: Exempt, Non-Union, through November 2018.
- Work directly with the existing membership to identify organizing, political, and communication opportunities and develop plans and strategies that capitalize on those.
- Build on existing institutional partnerships and develop new progressive allies to further reproductive freedom across Iowa.
- Conduct extensive 1-on-1 meetings with members, donors, and influential Iowans to build capacity and increase the presence of NARAL’s brand.
- Develop trainings for activists to became engaged with NARAL on campaigns and become leaders in their communities.
- Manage organizers to achieve goals and ensure program metrics are being met. Includes the operation of a c3 educational canvass and a c4 political canvass.
- Communicate with and maintain the Iowa Steering Committee and engage them in all aspects of programming.
Breakdown of work will be approximately:
- Organizing – 50%: Creating and implementing strategies to engage members in relevant NARAL campaigns through community events, 1-on-1 meetings and utilizing phone; mail, and online communications to grow and activate reproductive freedom advocates. This work will include organizing around legislative fights and opportunities at all levels of government.
- Communications – 25%: Collaborate with the communications team to develop Iowa specific collateral and cultivate strategic media relationships;
- Development – 25%: Work with the development team to create and deliver meaningful fundraising information to key donors and strategic partners.
- B.A./B.S. or relevant experience with demonstrated interest in community organizing, politics, and reproductive rights.
- At least 5 years as an organizer with documented success.
- One full cycle of political campaign experience while managing staff
- Knowledge of c3 and c4 non-profit rules a definite plus
- Exemplary communication skills a must, including writing, proof reading and public speaking with a wide range of audiences and in diverse environments.
- Understanding of all successful campaign elements from organizing to fundraising to communications – working knowledge of state legislative process a definite plus.
- Highly organized, self-starter that is detail-oriented and metrics driven.
- High level of computer literacy with VAN & NGP experience strongly preferred.
This position will be a contract position running through November 30, 2018 with possible extension beyond dependent on funding. NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer with a strong emphasis on diversity.
To apply for this position, please send a resume, a substantive cover letter and writing sample to:
Email to: email@example.com
Subject line: Iowa State Director
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.