NARAL Pro-Choice Montana is the political leader of the pro-choice movement in Montana. The organization's mission is to develop and sustain a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee every woman the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion.
The mission of the Partnership for Sex Ed is to ensure access for all Montana youth to medically accurate and comprehensive education regarding sexuality. The Partnership’s vision is that all youth in Montana have access to accurate information regarding sexuality and are able to make informed decisions regarding sexuality and reproduction throughout their lives.
The sex education intern is responsible for managing the Montana Partnership for Sex Education, researching relevant topics with a Montana-specific focus, working closely with the Office of Public Instruction to develop sex education standards for schools, educating school officials, community members, and legislators on comprehensive sex education, and lobbying state legislators on sex education-related issues.
- Set program goals with the Montana Partnership for Sex Education;
- Convene and lead the Montana Partnership for Sex Education Coalition;
- Serve as lobbyist with executive director at the Montana Legislature;
- Develop and implement plans for grassroots organizing around sex education;
- Create and promote communications materials regarding sex education;
- Work closely with the Office of Public Instruction on developing sex education standards for schools;
- Recruit activists for statewide e-mail action alert list and web-based activists groups;
- Write newsletter articles and member communications regarding sex education;
- Develop and update comprehensive lists of schools’ sex education policies and curriculum;
- Work closely with school staff and administrators to promote effective, comprehensive sex education;
- Educate the public, school officials, and legislators about the negative effects of abstinence-only education;
- Manage technology, including social media and website updates.
- Assist with 2013/2014 NARAL Pro-Choice Montana PAC activities;
- Assist in identifying and recruiting new coalition partners, volunteers, interns, board members, and members;
- Assist with administrative duties such as mail, filing, database entry, thank you notes, office cleaning, mass mailings etc.;
- Maintain press clippings files on NARAL Pro-Choice Montana, pro-choice, and anti-choice press and letters to the editor from NARAL Pro-Choice Montana volunteers;
- Other responsibilities as assigned by executive director.
- Strong commitment to reproductive freedom and the mission of NARAL Pro-Choice Montana;
- Self-starter with strong intrinsic motivation;
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively;
- Successful grassroots organizing experience;
- Computer literacy, including social media and Microsoft Office;
- The ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills.
The sex education intern will be reimbursed for costs associated with the project, receive access to trainings/community events open to NARAL Pro-Choice Montana members, and other NARAL Pro-Choice Montana membership benefits, including VIP access to events, voter guides, newsletters, and promotional materials. The intern is also strongly encouraged to arrange for course credit for this project. The executive director is happy to provide supervision and documentation as needed for course credit.
To apply, please send a resume, list of three professional references, and a one to two page letter explaining your qualifications and interest in the internship, to:
Maggie Moran, Executive Director
NARAL Pro-Choice Montana
PO Box 226
Helena, MT 59624
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.