NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon is looking for a passionate, dependable, and committed Community Organizing Coordinator with experience leading advocacy, organizing, and engagement efforts around reproductive justice issues and reproductive health rights. If this is you,please apply to be our Community Organizing Coordinator in Portland, OR. Application deadline is Friday, May 30, 2014.
Working alongside the Program Director, the Community Organizing Coordinator will develop and implement organizing strategies that help meet our strategic plan goals, including: 1) To increase access to comprehensive reproductive health care in Oregon, and 2) To strengthen political support for reproductive health and rights. Playing an integral role in the organization, the Community Organizing Coordinator will work closely with community partners, staff, board, board committees and volunteers.
- Spearhead relationship building around specific reproductive justice program development
- Assess potential barriers, and create strategies focused on recruiting and retaining diverse organizational partnerships
- Support the creation and maintenance of strategic community partnerships
- Build on grassroots outreach, and manage organizing and base building
- Build a diverse group of participants through targeted outreach and networking
- Provide staff support at various organizational tables and provide representation at meetings and events with partners, coalitions, funders, and related organizations
- Plan and participate in organizational events and special events as required
- Recruit volunteers and members of diverse groups and communities
- Identify new members’ interests and develop specific programs that support involvement
- Support committee recruitment
- Work with Board and Board committees when needed
- Perform other duties as appropriate and consistent with the mission of NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon and the Oregon Foundation for Reproductive Health
- Occasional evening and weekend work required, especially in the summer months
Our ideal candidate will have a passion for community-based development and community organizing. They will have many of the following skills and experiences:
- A commitment to a woman’s right to abortion, safety, and access
- A commitment to reproductive justice
- A strong background in racial justice and social justice movement building
- A solid understanding of intersectionality and the barriers in accessing reproductive health care
- Has 3+ years of leading and winning grassroots organizing and policy campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse groups and individuals
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred but not required
- Is a result-oriented self-starter, and is able to work independently and collectively within a team
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a responsible and dedicated manner
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A solid understanding and experience working with the VAN
- Comfort using technology for organizing, including spreadsheets, databases, word processing, computer graphics, and social networking software
- Minimum of a B.A. or equivalent in work experience; Master’s or the equivalent in work experience preferred.
- Must have transportation
To apply for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information of 3 references to:
Jill Wantland, Program Director, with the subject line "Community Organizing Coordinator Search.”
No phone calls, please.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.