As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than one million member activists from all 50 states and network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant woman, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don't operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that works to impose their ideological agenda on others.
The Senior Policy Representative is under the supervision of the deputy, and will help represent and advance NARAL’s policy views and goals with various constituencies.
- Within assigned issue areas, track all relevant choice-related activity on Capitol Hill, in the executive branch, and in the states. Report key developments, perform policy analysis as needed and, as assigned, advocate NARAL Pro-Choice America’s views. (Note: legal representation of NARAL is not required in this position.)
- With the deputy, vice president, and other key staff, craft and help carry out legislative strategy on key issues.
- In selected issue areas, serve as one of the organization’s representatives on Capitol Hill. As assigned, lobby and brief congressional staff and members of Congress through in-person meetings, written communications, and phone calls. Work mark-ups, hearings, and votes.
- Serve as a policy analyst and adviser to state affiliates on key choice-related proposals.
- Write, edit, and update fact sheets, talking points, letters to policymakers, staff memos, model legislation, testimony, and other key policy and advocacy documents.
- Contribute to NARAL documents and publications such as Who Decides?, Policy Updates, and the Congressional Record on Choice. Edit copy from other departments.
- Coordinate policy strategy and activities across NARAL Pro-Choice America as a whole to maximize benefits to the pro-choice movement and NARAL in particular.
- Conceive and carry out creative and unique projects that advance NARAL’s policy views and raise its profile among key constituencies.
- As assigned, represent NARAL Pro-Choice America to progressive partners and coalitions.
- As assigned, serve as a background source for press inquiries.
- Liaise with other departments or internal work groups as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Four-year degree plus six or more years work experience. Advanced degree preferred but not required.
- Substantial work experience on Capitol Hill, and/or familiarity with the Hill culture, the legislative process, and staff/member expectations.
- Substantial policy and/or direct lobbying experience at the state and/or national level on choice or related issue.
- Substantial research and/or policy analysis experience.
- Very strong, proven written and oral communication skills.
- Very strong, proven organizational skills; experience working as a team with junior colleagues; ability to manage multiple competing demands and projects and meet deadlines consistently with minimal supervision.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to manage complex, time-sensitive, detail-oriented projects and lead teams successfully.
- Highly professional, polished, diplomatic, and mature demeanor.
- Knowledge of reproductive-health issues strongly preferred.
- Commitment to diversity and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences.
- Clear understanding of, and commitment to, NARAL’s mission and goals.
Location: Washington, DC (accessible by public transit). This positon is full-time and offers competitive salary and benefits package depending on experience.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and a substantive cover letter to:
Subject line: Senior Policy Representative
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.