As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than one million member activists from all 50 states and network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant woman, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don't operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that works to impose their ideological agenda on others.
The Social Media and Digital Advocacy Assistant will be an integral part of NARAL Pro-Choice America's social media and digital programs. The assistant will be a part of the Digital Team and work with staff to draft creative, compelling content, shape digital campaigns, and implement our digital strategy.
As Social Media and Digital Advocacy Assistant, you'll gain experience in crafting effective online campaigns and learn the ins and outs of managing an online activist social media community. You’ll have lots of room to grow, be creative, and learn about what it means to organize online.
If you're our ideal candidate, you're a passionate, hard-working self-starter who loves to check social media for all the latest news and who has a strong arsenal of .gifs at the ready.
- Draft and post content for NARAL Pro-Choice America’s presence on social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Snapchat, Instagram, and others)
- Monitor new developments, trends and breaking news on the social platforms NARAL has a presence on.
- Assist in managing our community of online supporters through comment moderation, responding to inquiries, and directing supporters to appropriate staff. Lead on direct correspondence with supporters and enforcing our social media policy.
- Help identify strategic opportunities to engage with our users on social media in fresh and unique ways.
- Prepare reports that track and analyze our social media activities and effectiveness; use the findings to help inform ways to improve our outreach and interactions.
- Assist in background research and drafting blog posts to capitalize on trends in the news and amplify our campaigns.
- Assist in the design and creation of shareable social media graphics and digital campaigns.
- Assist with writing copy for email alerts, the website, and other online communications as needed.
- Process credit card reconciliations for department credit card; manage and process department invoices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree and some nonprofit, online organizing, or organizing experience preferred.
- Excellent writing, interpersonal communication, time management, and organization skills required.
- Desire to excel in a setting with many competing projects and tight deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience drafting content for social media for an organizational or brand account a plus.
- Active social media user.
- Ability to maintain a sense of humor and a positive attitude.
- Must be pro-choice.
Reports To: Digital Media Manager
Location: Washington, DC (accessible by public transit). This positon is full-time and offers competitive salary and benefits package depending on experience.
To apply for this position, please send a resume, a substantive cover letter and a link to a personal website or twitter account to:
Subject line: Social Media and Advocacy Assistant
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.