As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than one million member activists from all 50 states and network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant woman, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don't operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that works to impose their ideological agenda on others.
The Vice President (VP) of Communications and Branding is responsible for the strategic direction, design and planning, implementation, and evaluation of the branding, communications, and online advocacy operation for NARAL Pro-Choice America, and NARAL Pro-Choice America Foundation. This includes brand development, marketing, communications and message planning, as well as overseeing staffers that lead media relations, website management, an email-based activist network, text messaging, and social-media platforms. The individual in this position leads and supervises two departments (communications and digital) in achieving the organization’s branding, communications, and online strategy goals and plays a key role in the leadership of the organization as part of the Management Team.
- Develop and execute communications strategies that will broaden programmatic visibility and reach, and deepen impact.
- Develop and ensure NARAL Pro-Choice America’s “core” messages to ensure organizational consistency.
- Create and implement plans to build the institutional image of NARAL Pro-Choice America and promote its mission.
- Oversee and expand NARAL Pro-Choice America’s brand, including reaching new and younger audiences.
- Oversee NARAL Pro-Choice America’s digital and communications departments, which work on: Social-media advertising, managing an activist email list, marketing and other paid ventures, day-to-day media relations(press releases, rapid response, communications events) for the organization and the president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, support and guidance on communications and digital work of NARAL Pro-Choice America state affiliates.
- Manage two departments and a staff of ten that includes a Digital Director who oversees the online advocacy, and two Communications Directors who oversee national and state media strategy and serve as the organization’s primary spokespeople.
- Commitment to NARAL Pro-Choice America’s goals and mission.
- 10+ years of significant communications and branding experience. The ideal candidate will have an understanding of advocacy communications, especially public relations or journalism, political media, or advocacy communications.
- A strong track record of positioning an organization to achieve tangible outcomes in a competitive communications environment.
- Proven ability to develop and supervise implementation of multi-faceted and integrated media and marketing campaigns (including social media) and political strategies.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in an appropriate field.
- Solid management and supervisory experience.
- An enthusiastic, upbeat attitude and collaborative spirit.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience and appreciation for working in an organization that promotes diversity and inclusivity
Location: Washington, DC (accessible by public transit). This positon is full-time and offers competitive salary and benefits package depending on experience.
This Position is: Exempt
Management Level: VI
To apply for this position, please send a resume, a substantive cover letter and writing sample to:
Subject line: VP of Communications and Branding
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.