Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1999 to present
Rep. Paul Ryan has a long anti-choice record from his years in Congress.
- During his time in the House, Rep. Ryan has cast 60 votes on abortion and other reproductive-rights issues.1 All of these votes were anti-choice.
- He cosponsored "personhood" legislation that is so extreme that, if passed, it would ban abortion care in almost all cases, including rape or incest.2
- He cosponsored a measure that would force a woman to undergo an ultrasound before she can receive abortion care, even if her doctor doesn't recommend it and even if it is against the woman's will.3
- He has repeatedly voted to deny funding to Planned Parenthood.4
Rep. Ryan has been outspoken on his anti-choice views:
- He reiterated his opposition to abortion for women who survive rape when he said, "I'm very proud of my pro-life record, and I've always adopted the idea that, the position that the method of conception doesn't change the definition of life."5
- "I'm as pro-life as a person gets. You're not going to have a truce. Judges are going to come up. Issues come up, they're unavoidable, and I'm never going to not vote pro-life." 6
- Paul Ryan mocked the War on Women: "Now it's a war on women; tomorrow it's going to be a war on left-handed Irishmen or something like that." 7
Read Rep. Ryan's full profile.
1 -NARAL Pro-Choice America, Congressional Record on Choice (1993-2011); Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act (PRENDA) of 2012, H.R.3541, 5/31/12.
2 - H.R.212, 112th Cong. § 1 (2011); H.R.227, 111th Cong. § 1 (2009); Unborn Victims of Violence Act, H.R.2436, 9/30/99; Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2001, H.R.503, 4/26/01; Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2004, H.R.1997, 2/26/04.
3 - H.R.3805, 112th Cong. § 2 (2012).
4 - Pence amendment to FY’08 Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education Appropriations Act, H.R.3043, 7/19/07; Pence amendment to FY’10 Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education Appropriations Act, H.R.3293, 7/24/09; Pence amendment to FY’11 Continuing Resolution, H.R.1, 2/18/11; Enrollment Resolution to FY’11 Continuing Resolution, H.Con.Res.36, 4/14/11.
5 - The Raw Story, "Ryan on abortion exceptions: Rape is just another ‘method of conception’," August 24, 2012.
6 - The Weekly Standard, “Paul Ryan: GOP Must Continue Fighting for the Right to Life,” September 22, 2010.
7 - The Washington Post, "At Fla. fundraiser, Paul Ryan mocks 'war on women'," October 18, 2012.
Please credit NARAL Pro-Choice America as the source for the information on this page. If you have additional questions about the candidates’ positions, please contact the communications department at 202-973-3032 or Media@ProChoiceAmerica.org.