Pro-Choice Voter Guide: California District 23
Rep. Kevin McCarthy
Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R) is anti-choice. He is the incumbent.
- Rep. McCarthy earned a 0-percent score in NARAL Pro-Choice America's 2011 Congressional Record on Choice.
- Voted twice to block Planned Parenthood from receiving any federal funds, which would have denied millions of Americans access to contraception, cancer screenings, and other basic medical care.
- Voted for H.R.3, a bill that would ban abortion coverage in state health-insurance exchanges; impose tax penalties on small businesses and many individuals who purchase private health plans that include abortion coverage; and make permanent several restrictions that block many women from accessing abortion care.
- Voted to allow hospitals to refuse to provide emergency abortion care to women who could die without it.
- Rep. McCarthy received a 100-percent rating from the National Right to Life Committee in 2011.
Terry Phillips (I) is presumed to be pro-choice.