Pro-Choice Voter Guide: California District 31
Rep. Gary Miller
Rep. Gary Miller (R) is anti-choice. He is the incumbent.
- Rep. Miller earned a 0-percent score in NARAL Pro-Choice America's 2011 Congressional Record on Choice.
- Voted twice to block Planned Parenthood from receiving any federal funds, which would have denied millions of Americans access to contraception, cancer screenings, and other basic medical care.
- Voted for H.R.3, a bill that would ban abortion coverage in state health-insurance exchanges; impose tax penalties on small businesses and many individuals who purchase private health plans that include abortion coverage; and make permanent several restrictions that block many women from accessing abortion care.
- Voted to allow hospitals to refuse to provide emergency abortion care to women who could die without it.
- Rep. Miller touts his anti-choice record on his campaign website.
- Rep. Gary Miller stated in a newsletter: "On Monday, scores of Americans braved bitterly cold temperatures in Washington to participate in the annual March for Life, expressing their support for the protection of innocent human life. Sadly, since the Supreme Court's flawed decision in Roe v. Wade thirty-eight years ago, more than 50 million abortions have been performed in the United States. As a father and grandfather, Congressman Miller believes it is important to protect the rights of the unborn, and has consistently used his voice and vote in Congress to do so."
State Sen. Bob Dutton
State Sen. Bob Dutton (R) is anti-choice.