Pro-Choice Voter Guide: California District 49
Rep. Darrell Issa
Rep. Darrell Issa (R) is anti-choice. He is the incumbent.
- Rep. Issa earned a 0-percent score in NARAL Pro-Choice America's 2011 Congressional Record on Choice.
- Voted twice to block Planned Parenthood from receiving any federal funds, which would have denied millions of Americans access to contraception, cancer screenings, and other basic medical care.
- Voted for H.R.3, a bill that would ban abortion coverage in state health-insurance exchanges; impose tax penalties on small businesses and many individuals who purchase private health plans that include abortion coverage; and make permanent several restrictions that block many women from accessing abortion care.
- Voted to allow hospitals to refuse to provide emergency abortion care to women who could die without it.
- Rep. Issa is the chair of the committee that refused to allow Georgetown Law student Sandra Fluke to testify in support of insurance coverage of birth control.
Jerry Tetalman (D) is presumed to be pro-choice.