If there's one constant in Donald Trump's career, it's unabashed sexism. Some have questioned whether Trump truly opposes reproductive freedom, but we know this for sure: Trump's presidency and proposed policies pose a clear and present danger to women.
While Donald Trump has never held office, he's voiced support for a number of anti-choice policies that would have a devastating impact on women nationwide.
- Trump wants to completely ban abortion, with exceptions only for rape, incest, or when the life of the woman is in danger. He's backed this up by showing support for a ban on abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
- Trump says he'll make it a priority to repeal the Affordable Care Act. The ACA has made it possible for millions of people to get health insurance that includes coverage for birth control at no additional cost and prenatal care.
- Trump would have preferred to shut down the government rather than fund Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood provides low-cost family-planning services, cancer screenings, and other health care to millions of people every year.
- Trump has pledged to nominate anti-choice justices to the Supreme Court. He reiterated this promise to Bill O'Reilly after becoming the presumptive GOP nominee. This could destroy access to reproductive health care for generations.
- Mike Pence said he wants to see Roe v. Wade on "the ash heap of history", and has a long record of attacking reproductive freedom in his state.
In His Own Words
Donald Trump has made his opposition to reproductive freedom clear.
- Trump said there should be "some sort of punishment" for women who seek abortion if it were outlawed.
- Here's Trump's absurd justification for opposing a health exception for his abortion bans: "The problem with [saying health] is, what, you have a cold and you're having an abortion?"
- He's said of Planned Parenthood, "It is like an abortion factory, frankly."
But that's not all. We've never seen a presidential candidate who judges and insults women the way Donald Trump does.
- Trump bragged that he could sexually assault women.
- Despite Hillary Clinton's extensive record of public service, Trump accused her of playing the gender card, saying, "Frankly, if Hillary Clinton were a man, I don't think she'd get five percent of the vote. The only thing she's got going is the women's card."
- Trump won't have mothers' backs. He told a breastfeeding mother, "You're disgusting!" and forced a mother with a crying baby to leave a rally.
- FOX News anchor Megyn Kelly asked Trump about previous misogynistic comments. He responded by calling her unprofessional and said, "You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever."
- Trump questioned Carly Fiorina's qualifications to be president, saying "Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?"
- On his reality TV show Celebrity Apprentice, Trump quipped about a female businesswoman, "Must be a pretty picture, you dropping to your knees."
NARAL Statement on Nomination of Tom Price as Secretary of HHS - November 29, 2016
NARAL Pro-Choice America Statement on Presidential Election Results - November 9, 2016
NARAL President Applauds Hillary Clinton Speech in Florida - November 1, 2016
Pro-Choice Groups Call on Wallace to #AskAboutAbortion - October 18, 2016