FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 25, 2013
Ed Markey Defeats Yet Another Anti-Choice Challenger: Keeps the Massachusetts U.S. Senate Seat in the Pro-Choice Column
Washington, D.C. – NARAL Pro-Choice America President Ilyse Hogue congratulated Rep. Edward Markey (D-MA) on his successful campaign to ascend the U.S. Senate.
In partnership with the League of Conservation Voters, NARAL Pro-Choice America released a poll that found:
- 81 percent of primary voters prefer a candidate who is pro-choice.
- While 52 percent of Massachusetts voters call themselves Independents, 70 percent of these Independent voters identify as pro-choice.
- The organization’s grassroots work resulted in over 42,000 phone calls door knocks driving voters to the polls.
- In conjunction with its state affiliate, NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts, the organization encouraged the state’s nearly 90,000 member activists to support Markey in this special election.
- And NARAL Pro-Choice America’s PAC made the maximum contribution of $10,000 to Markey’s campaign.
“Just last week, the country watched the House pass an unprecedented and unconstitutional ban on abortion care after 20 weeks,” Hogue continued. “Although we’re confident our slim pro-choice majority in the Senate will block this ban from reaching the president’s desk, we are reminded why we need Ed Markey now. The loss of a single Senate seat could tip the scales in the other direction and that is a future women in this country cannot afford. We, along with our affiliate, NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts, look forward to working with Sen.-elect Markey to protecting and expanding a woman’s right to choose.”
For more information about NARAL Pro-Choice America’s electoral work, please visit our Elections page.
Rachel Boyer, 202.973.3032