This scenario sounds like a bad joke, but there are more than 4,000 such organizations, known as "crisis pregnancy centers" (CPCs), nationwide. Many of these CPCs mislead and manipulate women, especially women facing an unintended pregnancy.
Women facing an unintended pregnancy should get the facts about all their options. They should not have to face lies, pressure, and lectures from anti-choice volunteers at CPCs.
What We're Doing
- We released a report on the nationwide threat of CPCs in 2015.
- Our campaign in 2014 succeeded in getting Google and Yahoo! to agree to remove deceptive ads from CPCs.
- In 2013, a student in Northfield, MN, wrote a letter to the editor about a CPC near his school. The CPC's director lashed out with an insulting email. She claimed that her organization doesn't lie to or mislead women, but the materials her CPC gives out show the opposite is true. 25,000 activists from across the country signed our petition telling the CPC to stop the lies. NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota and pro-choice activists delivered the petitions in January 2014. Check out the Northfield CPC's misleading pamphlets, and photos from the petition delivery.
- In November 2013, NARAL Pro-Choice America, in partnership with Feminist Majority Foundation, launched a national “CPC Week of Action” on campuses across the country and through an online campaign to expose CPCs.
- In January 2012, NARAL Pro-Choice America, in partnership with our affiliate network, launched "#TruthFail: Expose Crisis Pregnancy Centers" on 50 college campuses. The campaign counters CPCs' aggressive efforts to target young women.
- In November 2011, reports emerged that Siri on Apple's iPhone 4S, was directing women who searched for abortion providers to CPCs. We used the controversy over Siri to expose the anti-choice strategy to manipulate search engines and other technology to mislead women and channel them into CPCs. Learn more >>
- Check out our Tumblr to expose CPCs’ lies.
- Review CPCs on Yelp: Help make sure that when women research their options, they know what they’re getting into before they contact a CPC.
- See how CPCs advertise: Learn to recognize the misleading ads CPCs use to lure women through their doors.
- Download the #TruthFail graphics: Download the graphics from our #TruthFail campaign and share them with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.
- Watch this video: An anti-choice activist explains how CPC owners can lure women into their centers.
- Watch "12th & Delaware": "12th & Delaware" is a shocking documentary about crisis pregnancy centers that will transform the conversation around choice in our country. You can watch it On Demand on HBO. Even better, invite some friends over and download our kit with discussion question.
- Take the quiz: Could you spot a CPC if you had to? Take our short CPC quiz to make sure you never accidentally visit one or suggest one to a friend.
- Watch the video: Tina shares her story about visiting an anti-choice CPC.
News & Updates
Our op-ed shows why it's so important for California Gov. Jerry Brown to sign the Reproductive FACT Act into law.
"This is B.S., Nicole kept thinking, but you're trying to make me think it's true." See what an anti-choice crisis pregnancy told her when she went to them for help.
Jezebel writer Megan Koester pretended to be pregnant to find out what really happens at these anti-choice fake clinics.
Find out how new legislation in California would help women who may be facing an unintended pregnancy.
Hear from the young woman who performed under cover investigations of crisis pregnancy centers for NARAL Pro-Choice California.