FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 26, 2009
Statement of Nancy Keenan, President of NARAL Pro-Choice America, on the Nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court
Washington, D.C. – Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, issued the following statement on President Obama's selection of federal appeals court Judge Sonia Sotomayor to succeed retiring Justice David Souter on the U.S. Supreme Court.
"President Obama has selected a nominee with a distinguished record of professional accomplishments as a judge, prosecutor, and community leader. This impressive personal biography signals that she possesses an understanding of how the law affects everyday people's lives," Keenan said. "We are encouraged by the strong support she receives from her peers and other legal scholars and the fact that the Senate has twice confirmed her for federal judgeships. We look forward to learning more about Judge Sotomayor's views on the right to privacy and the landmark Roe v. Wade decision as the Senate's hearing process moves forward."
Following is a summary of Judge Sotomayor's professional background:
- Bachelor of Arts, Princeton University, 1976
- Juris Doctorate, Yale University Law School, 1979
- Assistant District Attorney, New York County District Attorney's Office, 1979-1984
- Associate, Partner, Pavia & Harcourt, 1984-1992
- U.S. District Court Judge, Southern District of New York, 1992-1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals Judge, Second Circuit, 1998-present
For information about the Supreme Court's decisions on key cases related to reproductive rights, please visit http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/assets/files/Courts-SCOTUS-Choice-Cases.pdf