FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 1, 2016
NARAL Pro-Choice America released the following statement from president Ilyse Hogue on the Iowa Caucus this evening:
“Throughout this campaign and over her entire career, Hillary Clinton has been a champion for all—especially women and families. Her experience, her commitment to get things done, especially for women and children–those are the reasons we and our one million member activists are standing with her. For nearly a year, NARAL has been organizing around the clock to raise the issues of reproductive freedom, in all 99 counties. We’re glad to do that work now for Hillary, the only candidate who has expressed a genuine understanding that family planning is inextricably linked to economic opportunity. She will not only defend reproductive rights and abortion access from anti-choice attacks, but she will fight to make sure we see progress on these issues. Repealing the discriminatory Hyde amendment and expanding reproductive rights aren’t fringe issues for her – they’re central to her platform. That’s why she’s our champion.
“Hillary stands in stark contrast to Ted Cruz, Donald Trump and Marco Rubio who have committed to shut down women’s rights and limit our health care, which would have disastrous effects not just on us but on our families. We need the strongest person possible in the White House who will stand up to their attacks, and the attacks on reproductive freedom across the country. That person is Hillary and we couldn’t be more proud to support her.”
NARAL Pro-Choice America members worked across the state for a year to build a base of voters for reproductive freedom. Some of their activities included:
- Signed up nearly 10,000 Iowans to caucus for reproductive freedom.
- Made nearly 100,000 contacts with Iowans on the doors, on the phone, and online in support of reproductive rights. Using voter modeling, NARAL Pro-Choice America targeted first-time caucus goers and veterans alike, with a special focus on mobilizing voters whose only participation thus far has been at the 2008 caucus.
- Sustained an ad campaign in support of Hillary Clinton following our endorsement. The ad campaign consisted of print ads in the Des Moines Register and online ads in papers across the state.
- Released a multiple piece mail flight to Iowans in support of reproductive rights.
- Ran multiple trainings and released digital products for new caucus goers to teach them about the caucus and how they can organize their friends and neighbors to have an impact for reproductive freedom.
- Confronted GOP candidates in Iowa to show them the importance of reproductive freedom to Iowa voters. From directly confronting Ted Cruz on his embrace of Troy Newman and his violent rhetoric towards health care providers, to vocalizing opposition to the GOP’s anti-choice policies at the Iowa Faith and Freedom summit, and launching a woman-to-woman ad campaign against Scott Walker in Iowa, NARAL Pro-Choice America has been fighting the anti-choice GOP attacks on women’s health and abortion rights in this campaign.
- Held poll briefings, house parties, and caucus trainings with political and legislative leaders in Iowa to discuss the importance of women’s health care to winning the White House in 2016.