NARAL Thanks Gov. Brown For Signing Historic Reproductive Healthcare Law
The Reproductive Health Equity Act Codifies the Right to Access Abortion in Oregon, Expands Access to Basic Care
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 15, 2017
SALEM, Ore. — Gov. Kate Brown made history today by signing the NARAL-sponsored Reproductive Health Equity Act into law, officially codifying the legal right to abortion in Oregon for the first time in state history. NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon and its members across the state worked hard to support the legislation and to ensure it made its way to the governor’s desk.
“NARAL is proud to thank Gov. Brown for signing this landmark legislation into law and for continuing to be an outspoken champion for women and families,” said Ilyse Hogue, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America. “At a time when President Trump and his Republican allies are trying to restrict access to basic healthcare, Oregon’s effort is critical to defending a woman’s right to make her own healthcare decisions. NARAL members couldn’t be more thrilled to stand with Gov. Brown and state leaders they stand up for our most basic rights.”
“The signing of this historic plan is a huge victory for women and families across Oregon, and proof that our state is committed to ensuring women have the dignity of being in control of their own lives,” said Grayson Dempsey, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon. “NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon is proud to have partnered with the Pro-Choice Coalition of Oregon to develop this bill, which will protect the legal right to abortion in our state for generations to come.”
The Reproductive Health Equity Act will:
- Safeguard the right to abortion if Roe v. Wade were overturned.
- Protect no-cost coverage for preventive reproductive health care for every Oregonian with commercial health insurance, even if Republicans repeal the Affordable Care Act.
- Expand postpartum care to about 48,000 Oregonians of reproductive age who have coverage for labor and delivery that drops immediately after birth.
- Make safe, legal abortion more affordable and accessible for about 43,000 Oregon women of reproductive age who have high-deductible policies.
- Help more than 18,600 Oregon women of reproductive age who are forced to pay out-of-pocket costs for preventive health services, including contraception.
- Remove procedural barriers that hinder access to prenatal care and lifesaving cancer screenings for transgender and gender-nonconforming Oregonians.
NARAL Pro-Choice America and its network of state affiliates are dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans. NARAL works to guarantee that every woman has the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion. In recognition of its work defending our constitutional right to choose, Fortune Magazine described NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
The Pro-Choice Coalition of Oregon is a diverse, statewide coalition that consists of American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon, Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon, Family Forward Oregon, NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon, Oregon Latino Health Coalition, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Oregon and Western States Center.