Heller: Dr. Blasey Ford’s Story a “Hiccup”
|For Immediate Release: September 20, 2018
Contact: [email protected]
As Senator Dean Heller gears up to campaign in Las Vegas today with Donald Trump, he has reportedly determined that Dr. Christine Blasey Ford’s allegation of attempted rape against Brett Kavanaugh is merely a “hiccup.” NARAL Nevada released the following statement in response:
“It’s disgusting that Senator Heller is doubling down and choosing to side with Brett Kavanaugh over Dr. Christine Blasey Ford. We’ve seen Kavanaugh lie time and time again, even potentially perjuring himself during his Senate confirmation hearings last week, and we know Kavanaugh can’t be trusted to make decisions about our most fundamental freedoms,” said NARAL Pro-Choice Nevada state director, Caroline Mello Roberson. “It’s really no surprise that Heller is now doubling down on his support for Brett Kavanaugh on the same day that Donald Trump, a proven sexual assaulter is campaigning to help him get re-elected. But let’s make one thing clear, NARAL and our members will do everything we can to make sure that if you won’t do the right thing for Nevada families, you won’t have a job after November.”
Recent polling shows that Nevada voters overwhelmingly report they will reject Heller in November should he vote for Kavanaugh.
NARAL is out with an ad targeting Heller for standing with Kavanaugh, and a new ad today asking the question NARAL Nevada members have been asking all along: We Stand With Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, does Senator Heller?
It’s shameful that Senator Heller is choosing to side with Brett Kavanaugh over Dr. Christine Blasey Ford. We’ve seen Kavanaugh lie time and time again, even potentially perjuring himself during his Senate confirmation hearings last week, and we know he can’t be trusted to make decisions about our most fundamental freedoms.
- Secret emails that Republicans tried to hide from the American people revealed rock solid evidence that Brett Kavanaugh misled senators and the American people on his views about abortion and Roe v Wade. The emails revealed that, despite the show he put on in front of the Senate, Kavanaugh questions if Roe is “settled law” and thinks the Supreme Court “can always overrule its precedent.”
- The “committee confidential” emails released during the hearings showed that Kavanaugh made a series of false statements, under oath, during hearings for his current position on the Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit and again at hearings for our highest Court. Then and now, his answers simply weren’t true.
- In 2004, 2006 and during his confirmation hearings, Kavanaugh lied about whether he used materials stolen from Democratic senators to advance President Bush’s judicial nominees.
- Kavanaugh made false and misleading statements on a number of issues, including his views on abortion, because he knows he would never be confirmed if the American public — and Republicans in the Senate — finds out his true beliefs, his true ideological agenda, and his dark past as a far-right wing political operative.
- Brett Kavanaugh used his Senate hearings to push lies and junk science often pedaled by the anti-choice movement. He referred to birth control as “abortion-inducing drugs”, a phrase that is not only widely disproven by scientific evidence but is also widely used by the extreme anti-choice movement.
Since taking office, Dean Heller has catered to the most extreme wings of the Republican base, working with the GOP and Donald Trump to undercut the rights of women and families at every turn. In Congress, Heller voted to take away healthcare from millions of Americans, voted for an unconstitutional ban on abortion care as early as 20 weeks, and voted time after time to defund Planned Parenthood. Heller also voted to impose an abortion-coverage ban on human-trafficking survivors with exceptions only for rape, incest, or life endangerment. Heller has relied on campaign spending from anti-choice groups such as National Right to Life, which promotes dangerous and misleading lies about abortion and women’s healthcare.