For Immediate Release: Saturday, November 7, 2020
We look forward to working with the Biden-Harris administration to protect and advance reproductive freedom
Washington, DC — Today, after voters cast their ballots in historic numbers to make their voices heard, Joe Biden secured the 270 electoral votes needed to win the 2020 presidential election. NARAL Pro-Choice America President Ilyse Hogue released the following statement in response:
“This is a long-fought victory and NARAL Pro-Choice America members join the country in celebrating the official win of President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, a historic ticket dedicated to fighting for our democracy and our fundamental freedoms.
The American people won today. We won by coming together and making our voices heard. We won by turning out in record numbers to elect a president and vice president who will govern with compassion, conviction, and a commitment to the well-being of women and families all across this country. We won by electing leaders who reflect the majority of Americans’ view that access to legal abortion is a right. We won by being clear that every person must have the freedom to make personal decisions with those they trust, free from interference from politicians who know nothing about our lives.
Now our work begins. This election outcome gives us the opportunity—and the mandate—to pursue our shared vision of a country where everyone can thrive and where freedom is for every body. We see that systemic oppression, misogyny, and racism are unfortunately still alive and well in our nation. We look forward to partnering with the Biden-Harris administration to advance reproductive freedom and policies that affirm everyone’s dignity. And as we face a still-raging pandemic, President-elect Biden will put science, not ideology, in the driver’s seat of public policy.”
President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris have made their administration’s commitment to protecting and advancing reproductive freedom clear. On the campaign trail, Biden vowed to work to safeguard Roe v. Wade, only appoint judges who will respect Roe, support the repeal of the racist and discriminatory Hyde Amendment, and use executive action to protect and expand access to abortion and contraception, including reversing Trump’s rules gutting reproductive freedom, like the global and domestic gag rules.
These commitments have never been more critical. Donald Trump and anti-choice members of Congress spent the last four years waging war on reproductive freedom and staging a full-scale takeover of the federal judiciary.
NARAL’s 2020 Electoral Program:
NARAL Pro-Choice America ran a $34.7 million electoral program to win races up and down the ballot, its largest-ever political program. Key to NARAL’s strategy for victory was reaching, persuading, and mobilizing critical voter segments including soft-partisan persuadable women voters, and low-propensity, reproductive freedom voters motivated by Trump and anti-choice Republicans’ commitment to ending Roe, criminalizing abortion, and punishing women.
In the final stretch of the election season, NARAL ramped up its GOTV efforts to reach critical voters:
- NARAL Freedom Fund launched GOTV tactics in the key U.S. Senate battleground states of Arizona, Iowa, Georgia, Maine, Minnesota, Michigan, and North Carolina.
- NARAL expanded on its battleground state ad campaigns and ramped up ad efforts in the key battleground states of Michigan and Georgia to mobilize critical voters to turn out for reproductive freedom champions.
- In the key states of Georgia, Arizona, and Iowa alone, NARAL Freedom Fund spent $1,833,000 and reached out to over 976,000 voters through mail and texts this cycle.
- Over the course of 2020, NARAL and our members led more than 400 events to elect reproductive freedom champions with a total of 2,330 volunteer shifts completed. We reached voters across the country, sending over 2.3 million pieces of mail, sending over 1.1 million text messages, and calling over 1.4 million people.
- Since Labor Day alone, NARAL organizers have led more than 147 voter contact events with a total of 1,511 volunteer shifts completed, 838,794 texts, 64,000 postcards, and more than 100,000 calls.
For over 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America and its network of state affiliates and chapters have fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom—including access to abortion, contraception, and paid family leave—for every body. NARAL is powered by its more than 2.5 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 7 in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when, and how to raise a family.