Four million members strong, nation’s oldest member-based reproductive freedom organization’s “Fight Back for Freedom” midterm program mobilized voters across the country
Washington, DC — Just one day remains until polls close in the 2022 midterm elections, and already, voters across the country have cast their ballots by mail and through early voting. In the aftermath of the U.S. Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade, extremist lawmakers in 15 states and counting are enforcing extreme or total bans on abortion and congressional Republicans have introduced a national ban that they will push ahead with should they win majorities in the House and Senate. At this unprecedented moment in history, a fundamental freedom is being put to the people for a vote—and NARAL Pro-Choice America and our 4 million members across the country have been working day and night to mobilize voters and ensure that reproductive freedom champions are elected up and down the ticket in key races across the country.
NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmaraju released the following statement ahead of Election Day:
“When Roe fell and anti-choice Republicans started enforcing extreme bans on abortion, they activated a wave of newly engaged voters. All across the country we are seeing them fight back—women who’ve lost the freedom to make their own decisions about their own bodies, young people who woke up one day with fewer rights than their parents had, Americans who simply believe that politicians have no place in their personal lives. The results in Kansas, New York, and Alaska confirmed that abortion is on the ballot and voters will show up to protect their rights; abortion has already changed the course of this election, and we will see more of that tomorrow.”
This election cycle, NARAL harnessed the energy of voters across the country who are tired of seeing their rights trampled upon by extremist Republicans. We tapped our members to fight back and organize their communities, including by joining with the millions of voters who haven’t been activated by this issue before, but are now angry and ready to hold anti-choice lawmakers accountable. Our program focused on deep field investments in phone banking, door knocking, youth organizing, and canvassing, along with a robust communications campaign to support endorsed candidates and ballot initiatives in Pennsylvania, Georgia, California, Michigan, Arizona, and Nevada.
Key components of our midterm campaign include:
- Harnessing the full power of our 4 million members to mobilize their communities through traditional organizing tactics. In total, so far we: knocked on over 330,000 doors, made over 391,000 calls, sent over 436,000 texts, filled over 4,100 volunteer shifts, and held 424 events in 13 states.
- Continuing to broaden the impact of our cutting-edge research into voter sentiment on abortion, including our pioneering freedom-centered messaging, by training candidates, volunteers, and activists to speak to their communities in ways we know align with their values and move them to act on their beliefs.
- Rolling out a pilot program in Michigan with 14 organizers working on seven four-year college campuses and over 20 community college campuses to enroll voters and activate over 721 volunteers.
- Endorsing candidates in over 200 races nationwide for federal and state offices.
- Working alongside our partners on the ground in California, Michigan, and Kentucky to protect reproductive freedom in key ballot measure campaigns.
- Partnering with AAPI Victory Fund, Latino Victory Fund, and Higher Heights for America PAC to prioritize outreach to Asian American and Pacific Islander, Latina/x, and Black voters.
- Deploying NARAL Pro-Choice America president Mini Timmaraju, on a cross-country “Fight Back” tour to fight side-by-side with champions and get out the vote in key races and measures in: California, Illinois, Texas, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Washington, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Georgia.
- Earlier this year, NARAL announced a joint effort with Planned Parenthood Action Fund and EMILY’s List to collectively spend a historic $150 million on the 2022 midterms to ensure the election of reproductive freedom champions up and down the ballot.
The stakes for reproductive freedom and abortion access are higher than ever. Since the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, anti-choice extremists in 15 states and counting are currently enforcing bans on abortion—blocking millions of people from accessing abortion care in their home states. Meanwhile, congressional Republicans have made it clear that they intend to pass a nationwide ban on abortion, candidates like Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp have said making birth control illegal is on the table, and all but eight current House GOP members voted against a law that would ensure contraception access.
Read more about NARAL Pro-Choice America’s endorsed reproductive freedom candidates here.
For over 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels—including access to abortion care, birth control, pregnancy and post-partum care, and paid family leave—for every body. NARAL is powered by its 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.