NARAL Pro-Choice America Responds to President Biden’s Midterm 2022 Remarks
For Immediate Release: Wednesday, November 9, 2022
Contact: [email protected]
“President Biden reaffirmed what is becoming crystal clear: there is no doubt that voters rejected attacks on reproductive freedom and the extremists behind them in this election.”
Washington, DC — Today President Biden delivered remarks on the 2022 midterm elections, directly tying Democratic wins to voter support of reproductive freedom. The president doubled down on his administration’s dedication to protecting access to abortion and contraception for all Americans.
In response, NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmaraju issued the following statement:
“President Biden reaffirmed what is becoming crystal clear: there is no doubt that voters rejected attacks on reproductive freedom and the extremists behind them in this election. Thank you President Biden for agreeing to veto any attempt to pass a national ban on abortion—and thank you President Biden and Vice President Harris for your unwavering commitment to protecting our rights and freedoms. Voters resoundingly supported preserving and expanding abortion access in this election and, with support from the Biden-Harris administration, NARAL will work to ensure voters are heard.”
NARAL ran its largest-ever midterm electoral program to elect candidates up and down the ballot during this critical moment in the fight for reproductive freedom. The program focuses on deep field investments in phone banking, door knocking, youth organizing, and canvassing, along with a robust communications campaign to support endorsed candidates and ballot initiatives in Pennsylvania, Georgia, California, Michigan, Arizona, and Nevada.
Key components of our midterm campaign include:
- Harnessing the full power of our 4 million members to mobilize their communities through traditional organizing tactics.In total, we knocked on over 330,000 doors, made nearly 707,000 calls, sent over 868,000 texts, and filled over 4,860 volunteer shifts.
- Continuing to broaden the impact of our cutting-edge research into voter sentiment on abortion, including our pioneering freedom-centered messaging, by training candidates, volunteers, and activists to speak to their communities in ways we know align with their values and move them to act on their beliefs.
- Rolling out a pilot program in Michigan with 14 organizers working on seven four-year college campuses and over 20 community college campuses to enroll voters and activate over 721 volunteers.
- Endorsing candidates in over 200 races nationwide for federal and state offices.
- NARAL, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, and EMILY’s List announced a partnership in May to collectively spend a historic $150 million on the 2022 midterms to elect reproductive freedom champions up and down the ballot across the country.
For over 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels—including access to abortion care, birth control, pregnancy and post-partum care, and paid family leave—for every body. NARAL is powered by its 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.