NARAL Pro-Choice America Celebrates Representative Greg Stanton’s Reelection to the U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC — Last week, Arizonans voted to reelect NARAL-endorsed Greg Stanton (AZ-04) to the U.S. House of Representatives. This victory over an anti-choice Republican marks a huge win for reproductive freedom and abortion rights in Arizona.
In response to this victory, NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmaraju released the following statement:
“We know that 9 in 10 Arizonans support legal abortion and the freedom to make our own decisions about our own bodies—and this Election Day, they made their values clear. Rep. Stanton has consistently voted to defend reproductive freedom, and we are lucky to have him back in Congress. We have a lot of work to do to make abortion legal in all 50 states, and having Rep. Stanton in the House is going to help us win our rights back sooner. ”
NARAL Pro-Choice America Southwest Regional Director Caroline Mello Roberson released the following statement:
“NARAL Pro-Choice Arizona and our more than 75,000 members across Arizona applaud Rep. Stanton for his victory over an anti-choice Republican. We know that we can count on him to boldly fight for reproductive freedom, and we look forward to continuing our partnership with him to protect our most fundamental freedoms.”
In June, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in its decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization—ending the constitutional right to abortion and opening the door for extremist state lawmakers to put total bans on abortion in place. This decision is already having a devastating impact throughout the country as 15 states are enforcing extreme or total bans on abortion. The people hurt most by these bans and restrictions are those who already face barriers to accessing abortion care—including women; Black, Latina/x, Asian American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, and Indigenous people; those working to make ends meet; the LGBTQ+ community; immigrants; young people; those living in rural communities; people with disabilities, and other historically oppressed communities.
NARAL launched its largest-ever midterm electoral program to elect candidates up and down the ballot during this critical moment in the fight for reproductive freedom. The program focuses on deep field investments in phone banking, door knocking, youth organizing, and canvassing, along with a robust communications campaign to support endorsed candidates and ballot initiatives in Arizona, Georgia, California, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Nevada. Read more about NARAL’s endorsed candidates here.
NARAL’s work in Arizona includes:
- Knocking on over 2,000 doors, making nearly 36,000 calls, and sending over 51,000 texts;
- Hosting 43 candidate events with local reproductive freedom champions;
- Hiring organizing staff on the ground in Arizona to elect champions to statewide seats for the first time; and
- Deploying NARAL Pro-Choice America president Mini Timmaraju to fight side-by-side with champions and get out the vote in key races.
Key components of our midterm campaign include:
- Harnessing the full power of our 4 million members to mobilize their communities through traditional organizing tactics. In total, we knocked on over 330,000 doors, made nearly 707,000 calls, sent over 868,000 texts, and filled over 4,860 volunteer shifts.
- Continuing to broaden the impact of our cutting-edge research into voter sentiment on abortion, including our pioneering freedom-centered messaging, by training candidates, volunteers, and activists to speak to their communities in ways we know align with their values and move them to act on their beliefs.
- Rolling out a pilot program in Michigan with 14 organizers working on seven four-year college campuses and over 20 community college campuses to enroll voters and activate over 721 volunteers.
- Endorsing candidates in over 200 races nationwide for federal and state offices.
- NARAL, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, and EMILY’s List announced a partnership in May to collectively spend a historic $150 million on the 2022 midterms to elect reproductive freedom champions up and down the ballot across the country.
For over 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels—including access to abortion care, birth control, pregnancy and post-partum care, and paid family leave—for every body. NARAL is powered by its 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.