As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than two million member activists from all 50 states and network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant woman, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that works to impose their ideological agenda on others.
For a minimum of 30 hours per week assist with legal and policy research, conduct legal analysis, assist with other projects and tasks as assigned, as well as provide administrative support to the Government Relations Department. Reports to Senior Legislative Counsel
- Analyze and track pending choice-related legal cases.
- Assist in background research on federal judicial nominees.
- Assist in data collection on Medicaid reproductive-health services for the annual publication of Who Decides? The Status of Women’s Reproductive Rights in the United States.
- Assist with analysis of and activities concerning current choice-related legislation.
- Other related research projects as assigned.
- Collaborate with other NARAL Pro-Choice America departments as needed.
- Interns are encouraged to attend briefings and other policy events with NARAL Pro-Choice America staff.
- Completed at least one year of law school.
- Four-year college degree.
- Professional and polished demeanor.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, NARAL’s mission and goals.
- Experience in Westlaw and legal research.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to handle multiple projects, take initiative, work well with others, and meet deadlines consistently in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to diversity and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences.
The legal fellowship is offered during the summer. The hourly wage to commiserate with experience. plus $25/month transit subsidy. Start date May 28, 2019 through mid August. End date flexible.
Opportunities as workload and schedule permit:
- Attend briefings and other policy events with NARAL Pro-Choice America staff.
- Collaborate with other departments on projects as needed.
NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit a one-page letter of interest, resume, and 1-2 page writing sample. For questions or to apply via email, please email email@example.com with “2019 Summer legal fellowship” in the subject line.