As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than 1.2 million member activists from all 50 states and network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
The Associate Director of Signature Events primarily manages NARAL’s two top-tier donor-led Leadership Councils and the events associated with the Councils.
As part of our 12 person Development team, you will work directly with the Vice President of Development and Partnerships and the Development Events Associate to craft and execute an engagement and fundraising strategy for our Bay area Leadership Councils.
This includes being the main point of contact for the Leadership Councils, organizing cultivation events, quarterly meetings, executive committee meetings, briefings and the logistics and fundraising for a suite of high-profile events in California.
You are a relationship building focused, well-organized, goal oriented, collaborative professional with a good sense of humor who seeks to advance our shared priorities and goals.
Leadership Council Management
Working with the Executive Committees of two Leadership Councils, help define the annual goals for fundraising, including prospecting, volunteer engagement and cultivation for each group.
- Relationship management
- Manage all aspects of Executive Committee meetings and Leadership Council meetings including scheduling, agenda and material preparation and logistics.
- Develop and implement a cultivation/donor recognition program that includes briefings, trainings and other intimate events as appropriate. This includes recommending and coordinating travel of the President and other senior staff.
- Provide Leadership Council members with regular information about current NARAL activities
Working with the VP, set and meet goals for the growth of the Signature Events program and the Leadership Councils, with particular focus on the planning and execution of three annual fundraising events, San Francisco Power of Choice Luncheon, Peninsula Power of Choice Luncheon, and Men for Choice San Francisco. This position is responsible for coordinating the internal deliverables for each of these events as it relates to data, digital efforts, communications and remarks.
- Develop a revenue plan for each event and create and manage event budgets
- Create and implement a prospect plan for each event to ensure financial growth
- Develop and manage thorough and accurate invitation and solicitation lists and coordinate closely with staff and volunteer leadership to send personalized invitations and other communications.
- Manage all event-related bids and vendor relationships, including onsite hotel and A/V contacts
- Ensure accurate tracking of attendance lists, seating assignments, program listings, etc.
- Coordinate internal and external communications to promote the visibility of events and manage the production of print materials, including working with graphic designers and committee members on design process.
- Manage and ensure smooth and efficient day-of-event coordination including training of volunteers.
- Work with Digital and Communications Teams on email invitations and Communication plans for events, including drafting emails, pulling lists from the database, and writing and sending press releases.
- Write, edit, compile, and prepare event materials and collateral; talking points, and overall flow-of-program.
- Prepare post-event acknowledgments and debriefs
- Participate in weekly check-ins and strategy meetings
- Work with Development Events Associate on preparing materials for thank you calls
- Contribute to the development programs strategic planning process and annual plan preparation
- Participate in internal organizational meetings to remain informed about programs and campaigns
- College degree required
- Six+ years of relevant major gifts and event experience
- Three+ years of relevant management experience
- Detail oriented. Detail oriented. Detail oriented.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience in planning and executing fundraising events
- Experience working with volunteer leadership
- Fundraising database experience required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast paced environment
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required
- Clear understanding of, and commitment to, NARAL’s mission and goals
- Travel throughout the Bay area, as well as to DC is required
Location: San Francisco, California
Reports to: Vice President of Development and Partnerships
Positions Reporting To This Position: Development Events Associate
This Position is: Full-time, Exempt, Non-Union
Management Level: III
To apply for this position, please send a resume and substantive cover letter to:
Subject line: Signature Events
Job Code: 20174
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.