NARAL Pro-Choice America is seeking an Associate Organizing Director to help drive the work of our organizing department and support NARAL to achieve its ambitious political and advocacy goals.
As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access. Along with more than 2.3 million member activists from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave.
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
Reports To: National Organizing Director
This Position Is: Full-time, Exempt, Non-Union
The Associate Organizing Director (AOD) will oversee a team of organizers and organizing managers to expand our reach and activate volunteers across the country. As part of the Organizing leadership team, the AOD will help drive NARAL’s organizing strategy to build grassroots power at the state and national level. Key components of the job include:
- managing and supporting organizers to deepen member engagement and build a member-led organizing program in priority states;
- supervising the development of NARAL’s national distributed organizing program;
- managing tools and data for the Organizing team, including Mobilize, Hustle, and VAN;
- collaborating with colleagues on campaigns, digital, government relations, and communications teams to ensure that organizing strategies and tactics support campaign goals while building the grassroots power of NARAL members
The Associate Organizing Director will play a key role in building out our organizing model to achieve campaign wins and build long-term power.
Leadership and Strategy
- Train and support organizers to build NARAL’s volunteer leadership program, identifying and supporting ‘super volunteers’ in key states who will be partners in our organizing and advocacy work.
- Work with Campaigns team to drive cross-departmental management of organizing plans in support of state legislative and electoral work across states and regions.
- Support efforts to expand NARAL Pro-Choice America presence into new states and to strengthen capacity in states with a smaller organizational footprint.
- Lead coordination and collaboration between NARAL digital and organizing departments to maximize volunteer engagement.
- Evaluate opportunities and make recommendations on how to bring NARAL’s organizing up to scale, including through increased distributed organizing tools and models.
Department and Staff Management
- Train and manage a geographically dispersed team of organizing managers and organizers.
- Drive national priorities, support and accountability through tailored ongoing communication with different cohorts, including organizing management, organizers, volunteer leadership and volunteers as a whole.
- Create a positive, inspiring team environment in which team members can learn, receive regular feedback, and thrive; performance manage staff for strong results.
- Create a culture of organizing and implement a system for learning and training for all NARAL organizers.
- Strengthen data systems and processes, ensuring strong data management, the best data systems, and tracking.
- At least 5 years of experience in planning and executing field campaigns and strategies, grassroots organizing, and organizational development, including training and managing staff.
- At least 4 years of experience in a senior management role.
- Familiarity with distributed organizing and leadership development strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to build, motivate, mentor, supervise, and manage staff.
- Strong knowledge of and experience developing and implementing organizing programs with heavy digital organizing components.
- Data management experience and knowledge.
- Commitment to NARAL Pro-Choice America’s mission and goals.
- A commitment to contributing to a workplace environment in which diversity is valued and supported.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates with backgrounds, identities, and experiences that are historically underrepresented in reproductive freedom non-profits are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Associate Organizing Director