Location: Des Moines Metro Area
NARAL Pro-Choice America is seeking a Central Iowa Organizer to identify, train, and support volunteers and volunteer leaders to move decision makers, elect pro-choice candidates, and win campaigns.
As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access. Along with our 2.3 million member activists from all 50 states and network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms.
We are at a historic moment in which the anti-choice movement is one step away from overturning or gutting Roe, but also in which we have major opportunities to advance abortion rights in America by mobilizing the 7 in 10 Americans who support access to abortion. NARAL is working to leverage the power of our 2.3 million members to achieve legislative and political victories to protect and expand reproductive freedom. To accomplish these goals, NARAL is prioritizing work to build even more grassroots power and scale our organizing by creating new volunteer structures and opportunities for deeper member engagement. The Organizer is a key player in building a network of highly activated volunteers and volunteer leaders who partner with each other and with NARAL in achieving campaign wins.
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
Reports To: Iowa Organizing Manager
This Position Is: Full-time, Exempt, Union Level III
Salary Range: $47,000 – $60,900
The Central Iowa Organizer will work towards legislative and electoral priorities, with the 2020 elections as the critical near term focus. The Organizer will prioritize building power through volunteer leader development in Iowa with a primary focus on Des Moines and surrounding areas and, as capacity allows and needs arise, in other areas of Iowa for special events or projects.
The Central Iowa Organizer will prioritize recruiting, mentoring, training, and supporting NARAL volunteer leaders to establish self-sustaining “Action Councils” — all-volunteer leaders’ groups committed to working on NARAL priority campaigns by, for example, running events, recruiting for rallies, and engaging in rapid response.
The Central Iowa Organizer will also support Action Council leaders in creating and executing organizing plans to achieve campaign goals; work to identify and support individual volunteer leaders and volunteers where it’s not possible to set up self-sustaining Action Councils (including those who can share their personal story of why reproductive freedom matters to them); and regularly work to identify and recruit prospective volunteers and volunteer leaders through a variety of means.
- Recruit, mentor, train, and support volunteer leaders to establish self-sustaining Action
- Oversee Action Council leaders and support them in creating and executing campaign plans around NARAL core campaigns and in recruiting new volunteers.
- Work to identify, and support through group calls or other distributed methods, individual volunteer leaders and volunteers where it’s not possible to set up self-sustaining Action Councils.
- Train volunteers and volunteer leaders in a variety of skills through in-person training, national trainings, videos, guides, and tip sheets.
- Build community between Action Council Leaders; work with Action Councils or groups of volunteers to establish regular meetings or events that build community between volunteers.
- Identify and recruit prospective volunteers and volunteer leaders, many of whom may not identify themselves as leaders, through a variety of channels.
- Infuse campaign context, theory of change, and urgency in all volunteer communications; share regular campaign updates with volunteers.
- Help identify rapid response opportunities.
- Identify storytellers who can share why reproductive freedom matters to them and help equip them with tools and support to share their story with decision makers and political leaders, as well as at public events or press conferences
- Communicate and coordinate with national organizing staff and state affiliate organizing staff throughout the NARAL Pro-Choice America network;
- Build and track relationships with community leaders and local partner organizations;
- Create and execute campaign plans for new projects and ensure the successful completion of those projects in regards to goals, measurable and outcomes;
- Plan, recruit for and execute field activities, phone banking and community events at the city, state and federal level;
- Data management on the Voter Activation Network (VAN) while maintaining the highest regard for data integrity.
- Reports to Iowa Organizing Manager
- Previous canvassing experience (doors, phones or both) is preferred;
- Previous grassroots organizing experience or documented history of activism. Campaign or other electoral experience required;
- Strong commitment to reproductive rights issues and NARAL Pro-Choice America’s mission and goals;
- Ability to build strong interpersonal relationships;
- Success at keeping multiple projects organized;
Salary and overall compensation will be commensurate with the experience and background of the successful applicant. NARAL offers a professional work environment and an excellent paid time off plan.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please e-mail resume and a substantive cover letter to email@example.com, with subject line “Central Iowa Organizer.”