NARAL Pro-Choice America Seeks
As one of the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy groups, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than 2 million member activists from all 50 states and our network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedom. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
NARAL’s Communications Director oversees, develops and implements an aggressive communications strategy at the national and state level that lifts up NARAL’s campaigns, initiatives, political programs, and long-term vision for reproductive freedom. A strategic and innovative leader, the Director will lead NARAL’s engagement of the media and enhance NARAL’s visibility, image and influence through effective and creative communications.
In partnership with NARAL’s President and Vice President of Communications and Strategic Research, the Communications Director will establish and execute organization-wide communications priorities, processes, and strategies. The Director will develop national and state messaging, direct rapid response and manage a high-performing team of staff and consultants. The Director will be a hands-on leader who can produce materials, pitch stories and serve as a spokeperson for the organization.
The Communications Director will be a campaigner at heart, an experienced communicator, thoughtful manager and a collaborative leader. The Director can work with a high level of autonomy, thrive in a fast-paced, ambitious work environment and is passionate about supporting NARAL chapters and affiliates, as well as colleagues and allies across the country.
- Create and implement forward-thinking organizational branding, messaging and communications plans to promote NARAL’s mission.
- Develop, implement, and lead a comprehensive communications and media strategy nationally and in NARAL’s affiliate and chapter states across the country.
- Direct media relations to drive narratives that will reach new and diverse audiences.
- Manage and mentor a talented, multi-faceted communications team.
- Ensure all relevant departments use NARAL messaging.
- Collaborate with national and state staff and NARAL affiliates to develop communications plans that maximize coordination, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Work with senior management team to develop NARAL’s brand and engagement strategies and drive brand strategy implementation across communications channels.
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson with national and state media.
- Seek out new channels of engagement including artistic influencers and digital media platforms.
- Oversee development of press materials including, but not limited to: statements, talking points, LTEs/OpEds, and speeches.
- Work closely with the President, Vice President of Communications and Strategic Research, and senior staff on media strategy.
- Collaborate with the digital team on organizational message and priorities.
- Serve as a NARAL representative at speaking engagements, meetings and with coalition partners.
- 10 years progressively responsible experience in campaigns, advocacy or political organizations.
- Record of success in communications positions in advocacy and political organizations.
- High-level strategic planning skills, including an understanding of organizational, political and policy elements.
- Excellence in staff management with the ability to develop, coach, and manage high-performance teams.
- Deep attention to detail and exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding judgement and decision-making skills.
- Proven track record of media pitching and on-the-record work.
- Strong background driving narratives at a federal and state level, with the experience to weave both together.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambitious work environment.
- Experience working with membership organizations and a desire to engage members.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working within a multicultural workforce and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required.
- Experience with the reproductive freedom movement is a plus.
- Commitment to NARAL’s mission and goals.
This position reports to the Vice President for Communications and Strategic Research. This position is Exempt, Non-Union, Management Level IV.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.