About NARAL Pro-Choice America
For fifty years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion. Powered by more than 2.5 million members from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, NARAL Pro-Choice America represents the more than seven in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when and how to raise a family. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave.
In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.” At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
The Digital Director leads a department of nine to secure and expand reproductive freedom by utilizing digital tools and assets to build power and hold those in power accountable; inspire and support activism, and build collective awareness of the fight to ensure reproductive freedom. This includes developing innovative ways to engage supporters, deepening the activism and engagement of supporters, developing the organization’s social media strategy, raising money for NARAL Pro-Choice America campaigns, and ensuring that NARAL Pro-Choice America stays on the cutting edge of social media trends and technology.
The department works in close collaboration with the Communications, Development, Government Relations, Organizing, and Political departments to ensure that our online program advances the organization’s fundraising, growth, messaging, organizing, electoral, and legislative priorities.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
Departmental and Staff Management
- Demonstrate excellent leadership skills, including consistent cross-departmental collaboration.
- Support professional development of team members.
- Create a positive, inspiring team environment in which team members can learn, receive regular feedback, and thrive.
- Lead the digital department’s planning process.
- Direct vendor relationships and management in areas including acquisition, email, analytics, creative, and strategy.
- Develop digital income and expenditure budget; monitor departmental budget.
- Represent the digital team in meetings with senior leadership and across departments.
- Manage the day-to-day functioning of the digital department, including email advocacy, social media, fundraising, and online communications.
Strategy and Implementation
- Develop strategy and manage implementation of the organization’s online activities including list growth, fundraising, and communications.
- Provide strategic direction for and oversee the development and implementation of NARAL’s digital campaigns.
- Develop content and engagement strategy for the NARAL Pro-Choice America website, blog, and social media outlets.
- Develop email program and campaign narrative to maximize revenue and online activism for NARAL Pro-Choice America.
- Develop strategy for and oversee implementation of the digital department’s work to deepen the leadership of NARAL members by providing regular engagement opportunities beyond one-click petitions and for online to offline engagement.
- Develop strategy to use digital tools to achieve specific electoral goals including persuasion communications.
- Develop and execute long and short-term strategic plan and budgets for list retention and acquisition with the goal to grow and diversify the list and drive fundraising and campaign goals.
- Oversee online fundraising program; work with the Chief Development Officer and team to create and execute integrated digital fundraising plan with other membership funding streams.
Relationship and Partnership Building
- Build and deepen relationships with digital directors and others from partner organizations.
- Represent NARAL in coalition spaces as needed.
- Perform other duties as needs arise.
In addition, strong candidates will offer:
- Candidates for this position must be creative, innovative, and collaborative leaders with 7-10 years of digital experience that includes running robust online fundraising, advocacy, and acquisition programs.
- At least one successful senior management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of strategies yielding results in an advocacy or political context.
- Expertise in advocacy campaigns, technology management, online fundraising, email communications, list building, content development, and social networking.
- Demonstrated success managing teams and working in collaboration with colleagues to achieve strategic goals.
- Demonstrated experience developing strategies to create an online to offline pipeline of member leaders.
- Experience with distributed organizing tools and strategies preferred.
- The candidates must have an interest in reproductive, social, and economic justice issues and advocacy.
- Commitment to NARAL Pro-Choice America’s mission and goals.
- A commitment to contributing to a workplace environment in which diversity is valued and supported.
This is a full-time position. The salary will be commensurate with experience. NARAL offers medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k)-retirement plan including employer match; and generous paid vacation, personal, and sick leave, along with paid parental leave. The salary range for this opportunity is $120,000-150,000K.
NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity. NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion. socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.