For fifty years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion.
Powered by more than 2.5 million members from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, NARAL Pro-Choice America represents the more than seven in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when and how to raise a family. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
The National Distributed Organizer will develop and maintain a national distributed network of volunteer leaders in strategic locations. The Organizer is the lead representative for the Organizing Department with other NARAL departments on key national campaigns and is point on implementing organizing plans in service to cross-Departmental campaign goals.
The organizer will work closely with NARAL’s members and volunteers, primarily through online meetings, webinars, and social media. All of our organizing will be virtual for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic; once it is safe to do so, the National Distributed Organizer can expect to take multi-day trips to work directly with volunteers and/or support NARAL-endorsed candidates. Candidates for this position must demonstrate a willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
Reports to: Associate Organizing Director
Location: Washington, D.C. Preferred
Positions reporting to this position: Organizing intern
This position is: Non-Exempt Union Level: III
- Operate independently to develop and execute campaign plans to virtually mobilize and engage NARAL members and activists toward campaign goals
- Manage distributed organizing tactics such as virtual phonebanks, virtual one on ones, webinar trainings and create an online community for volunteers
- Analyze and improve upon current distributed organizing strategies to better engage NARAL members towards NARAL campaign goals.
- Support and expand member-led volunteer teams to deepen our engagement with members who participate in virtual advocacy and electoral actions
- Manage interns’ work plan, goals, and requests for intern support from colleagues
- Develop and maintain a high level of teamwork, spirit, collaboration and mutual accountability within the department and with other departments
- Balance multiple projects and priorities successfully
- Lead organizing tactics in rapid response moments and deploy team resources as needed
- Other opportunities as assigned
Desired Skills & Attributes
- 3 or more years organizing experience; familiarity with grassroots organizing strategies and distributed organizing tactics;
- Experience with remote volunteer management;
- Ability to build strong interpersonal relationships;
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communications skills;
- Commitment to NARAL Pro-Choice America’s goals and programs;
- Demonstrated success at keeping multiple projects organized;
- Flexibility to work weekends/evenings.
Application Process NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates with backgrounds, identities, and experiences that are historically underrepresented in reproductive freedom non-profits are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please e-mail resume and a substantive cover letter to email@example.com,with the subject line “Distributed Organizer”