As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than 2.5 million-member activists from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
Location: Washington, DC
This position is: Fellowship, Hourly rate of $19.00/hr and $50 monthly metro stipend provided
Internship Date: Start date May 26th, 2020 end date flexible on or after August 14th, 2020
On a part to full-time basis (between 25 and 40 hours per week), assist with legal and policy research, conduct legal analysis, assist with other projects and tasks as assigned, as well as provide administrative support to the Government Relations Department.
- Analyze and track pending choice-related legal cases.
- Assist in background research on federal judicial nominees.
- Research choice-related record for electeds.
- Analyze and track choice-related legislation.
- Other related research projects as assigned.
- Assist with department administrative tasks as needed.
- Collaborate with other NARAL Pro-Choice America departments as needed.
- Fellows are encouraged to attend briefings and other policy events with NARAL Pro-Choice America staff.
- Completed at least one year of law school.
- Four-year college degree.
- Professional and polished demeanor.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, NARAL’s mission and goals.
- Experience in Westlaw and legal research.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to handle multiple projects, take initiative, work well with others, and meet deadlines consistently in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to diversity and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences.
As workload and schedule permits:
- Attend briefings and other policy events with NARAL Pro-Choice America staff.
- Collaborate with other departments on projects as needed.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and substantive cover letter by completing the following form.
For questions or problems with the form please email firstname.lastname@example.org including “Legal Fellow Spring 2020” in the subject line.