For 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion. Powered by more than 2.5 million members from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, NARAL Pro-Choice America represents the more than 7 in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decisions for themselves about if, when, and how to start or raise a family. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
The Development Department is responsible for fundraising strategy and implementation across the organization. Specifically, the Membership Team raises funds from grassroots supporters via direct marketing and works with the Digital Department on multi-channel campaigns, responds to all member services, and manages various development operations.
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Associate Director of Membership and Development Operations
This position is: Full time, Non-Exempt Union, Level: III
Salary range: $52,000 – $60,000
The Membership Stewardship Manager is a member of the Membership Team and is responsible for creating and executing programs that foster our membership base through stewardship efforts and direct contact with grassroots donors, with a focus on retaining, cultivating, and growing monthly donors and long-term annual donors. These stewardship programs will include: creating specialized acknowledgment mailings for different donor cohorts, growing our monthly donor program, establishing coordinated phone banks with the internal phone bank team and Chapter staff, and personal phone calls to long time membership donors. The result of these programs will not only increase retention but will surface leads for the Major Gifts team. This position will assist as we plan a robust Planned Giving strategy for the future. This position will coordinate with the entire Development Department, as well as members of the Digital Department. The members of the Membership Team are all cross-trained in multiple duties so that everyone can support each other during high volume work times. The person in this position attends all regularly scheduled production and strategy meetings.
The ideal candidate for this position is a true team player who is excited about working with many different people and departments to support their work. You must be extremely detail orientated, able to self-manage, stay ahead of deadlines, and communicate clearly. We are in search of someone who can add capacity to a department that regularly punches above our weight. We’re looking for someone who’s had enough experience in the nonprofit fundraising world to have their own ideas they’ve been wanting to try.
- Assist in the development of and execution of cultivation/stewardship programs to support the retention of:
- Monthly givers
- Annual, long-term givers
- Leadership Circle donors
- Own and manage the acknowledgment program, including data management, creative development, and copy updates
- Coordinate with the Digital Department to create and manage a multi-channel monthly giving program
- Coordinate with the Digital Department to create systems to identify opportunities with grassroots donors who give via multiple channels
- Support Planned Giving efforts by coordinating with other Development Department staff, researching donor groups, and initiating lead generation
- Assist with Member services via phone, email, and mail, follow through when necessary
- Coordinate with other members of the Development Department on lead generation and donor research
- Evaluate the effectiveness of stewardship projects and propose improvements
- Coordinate with internal staff and external consultants on data hygiene and data reports
- Aid in the creation of copy for c3 workplace giving applications
- 1-2 years of experience in donor support
- 3+ years of experience in non-profit fundraising/direct marketing
- Knowledge of Excel and Word software required
- Familiarity with fundraising databases required
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently necessary
- Strong writing skills required
- Excellent organizational skills required
- Clear understanding of, and commitment to, NARAL’s mission and goals
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Subject line should contain your name and the job title
NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer. All our positions require a sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences.