For 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion. Powered by more than 2.5 million members from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, NARAL Pro-Choice America represents the more than 7 in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decisions for themselves about if, when, and how to start or raise a family. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
The Development Department is responsible for fundraising strategy and implementation across the organization. Specifically, the Membership Team raises funds from grassroots supporters via direct marketing and works with the Digital Department on multi-channel campaigns, responds to all member services, and manages various development operations.
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Associate Director of Membership and Development Operations
This position is: Full time, Non-Exempt Union, Level: III
Salary range: $52,000 – $60,000
The Membership Stewardship Manager is a member of the Membership Team and is responsible for creating and executing programs that foster our membership base through stewardship efforts and direct contact with grassroots donors, with a focus on retaining, cultivating, and growing monthly donors and long-term annual donors. These stewardship programs will include: Creating specialized acknowledgment mailings for different donor cohorts, growing our monthly donor program, establishing coordinated phone banks with the internal phone bank team and Chapter staff, and personal phone calls to long time membership donors. The result of these programs will not only increase retention but will surface leads for the Major Gifts team. This position will assist as we plan a robust Planned Giving strategy for the future. This position will coordinate with the entire Development Department, as well as members of the Digital Department. The person in this role will have an opportunity to learn about other roles and responsibilities across the Membership team so that everyone is able to pitch in during high volume work times.
The ideal candidate for this position is a true team player who is excited about working with many different people and departments to support their work. This person must be detail orientated, able to self-manage, stay ahead of deadlines, and communicate clearly. We are in search of someone who can add capacity to a department that regularly outperforms in our work. We’re looking for someone who’s had experience in the nonprofit fundraising world and may have some ideas they’ve been wanting to try.
- Assist in the development of and execution of cultivation/stewardship programs to support the retention of:
- Monthly givers
- Annual, long-term givers
- Leadership Circle donors
- Own and manage the acknowledgment program that thanks and recognizes our donors at all levels, including data management, creative development, and copy updates, all of which will improve our communication with supporters
- Evaluate the effectiveness of stewardship projects by tracking response rates and effectiveness, and propose improvements
- Coordinate with the Digital Department to create and manage a multi-channel monthly giving program, as well as create systems to identify opportunities with grassroots donors who give via multiple channels
- Support Planned Giving efforts by coordinating with other Development Department staff, researching donor groups, and initiating lead generation
- Assist with Member services by connecting with our donors and supporters via phone, email, and mail, following through when necessary
- Coordinate with other members of the Development Department on lead generation and donor research
- Coordinate with internal staff and external consultants on data hygiene and data reports
- Aid in the creation of copy for 501c3 workplace giving applications
- Experience in donor support: This person will interface directly with our Membership donors via phone and email; we’re looking for someone with 1-2 years of experience doing this work who is excited about connecting directly with our members about our mission and addressing any individual concerns they may have
- Experience in non-profit fundraising/direct marketing: We’re looking for someone with 3+ years of experience in this space who is comfortable with the basics of a fundraising program, specific experience with direct marketing a plus
- Familiarity with fundraising databases: We use NGP’s EveryAction as our main database; similar database experience would be satisfactory
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently: This person in this role will be balancing multiple priorities and projects; time management and organizational strategies will be helpful for success
- Strong writing skills: This position will be responsible for writing and copyediting various different member communications to motivate and inspire our donors and supporters
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required, as is a clear understanding of, and commitment to, NARAL’s mission and goals
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates with backgrounds, identities, and experiences that are historically underrepresented in reproductive freedom non-profits are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line should contain your name and the job title.
NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer. All our positions require a sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences.