Organization Mission & Vision
NARAL’s mission is to develop and sustain a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee every woman the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion.
NARAL Pro-Choice Missouri (NPCM) is seeking its next Executive Director to continue its mission and advance reproductive freedom for all Missourians. For this pivotal role, NPCM seeks a visionary, principled and courageous leader with the ability to engage and inspire diverse stakeholders and build strategic alignment to advance NPCM’s objectives. Applicants should be deeply and demonstrably committed to NPCM’s mission and must unhesitatingly support access to abortion with no caveats.
The ideal Executive Director candidate will be an authentic and inclusive leader with a clear understanding and commitment to reproductive justice and intersectionality principles. The person should be adept at working strategically in conservative and hostile environments and able to effectively communicate and engage a wide range of supporters, funders, decision-makers and stakeholders at the local and state levels. The ideal candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal attributes.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Ideal Candidate Profile
Qualities and Abilities
- Passionately pro-choice, able to deal personally and organizationally with the criticism and hostility that can be a part of working with a controversial and often contentious issue.
- Able to share an inspiring vision and motivate others to join in executing on that vision.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while nurturing and sustaining a staff team culture built on trust, collaboration, flexibility, and humor.
- An inspiring public speaker and compelling spokesperson for the organization who is media-savvy and able to spontaneously and persuasively speak about controversial matters.
- Employs an intersectional approach to reproductive freedom, health, and justice and has a deep understanding of feminism and the intersectionality of progressive issues including a commitment to intersectionality.
Experience and Expertise
- Previous leadership and expertise in state politics and public policy.
- Fundraising experience, especially personally cultivating, stewarding, and soliciting major gifts.
- Previous experience in hiring, leading and managing staff, especially with a similarly-sized nonprofit or political organization.
- Previous experience with issue advocacy, coalition building and grassroots organizing
- Experience with budgeting and financial management, especially at a small non-profit
- Previous experience working on political campaigns and/or elections
Salary and Benefit information
This is a full-time exempt position. Benefits include health, dental, and life insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave.
This position requires a willingness to work evenings and weekends and travel within the state as well as regionally and nationally. Personal transportation and valid driver’s license is required.
NPCM is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws. NPCM is committed to diversity in its leadership and staff and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
How to Apply
Nominations, inquiries and application materials should be submitted in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please include a résumé and a cover letter that addresses: 1) Why you are interested in working with NPCM and the constituents we serve, 2) What you believe you would bring to the position of Executive Director; and 3) How your past accomplishments are relevant to this position.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and eligible candidates will be contacted about interviews. For more information about NARAL Pro-Choice Missouri visit our website.