Position: Political Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: $55,000- $62,000, Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Generous health, dental, vision, and paid time off
Status: Full-time exempt position
Location: Portland, Oregon
NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon is dedicated to building and sustaining a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee access to reproductive healthcare for every Oregonian, including preventive care, family planning, sexuality education, prenatal and postnatal health care, and safe, legal abortion. NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon is a grassroots 501(c)(4) advocacy organization. Two additional affiliated organizations help advance NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon’s mission: the Oregon Foundation for Reproductive Health oversees broad-reaching initiatives that expand reproductive health access and promote health equity for all Oregonians, and the NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon PAC is a political action committee that conducts direct electoral work with and for pro-choice candidates.
The Political Director is responsible for developing and implementing a strategic advocacy program including legislative strategy, coordination with political allies, candidates, elected officials and staff, liaison with formal and informal coalitions, and organizational involvement in candidate and ballot measure campaigns. The Political Director reports to the Executive Director, works closely with the PAC and directly supervises the Field Coordinator on synchronizing the advocacy and political agenda with grassroots initiatives and mobilizing NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon’s statewide membership base. Some evening and weekend hours and travel around the state required. Position is based in our Portland, Oregon office.
- Development of legislative, executive branch and local government policy priorities for the organization.
- Development and implementation of tactical steps to achieve the organization’s policy priorities through advocacy with state and local elected and appointment decision-makers.
- Support in the PAC endorsement process, including assistance in coordinating with campaign personnel, caucus personnel, and legislative leadership.
- Collaboration in the development of electoral campaign plans to achieve targets established by NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon PAC board of directors.
- Support for the Field Coordinator in developing and implementing comprehensive, data-driven targeted campaign plans.
- Development and nurturing of relationships with other organizations in progressive coalition, and representing NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon at coalition meetings and political gatherings.
- Identification and completion of policy research and development of policy initiatives in support of the organization’s mission and legislative agenda.
- Support for the Executive Director with professional lobbying activities in keeping with organizational mission and program goals, including creating and maintaining relationships with key elected leaders.
- Provide assistance to the Executive Director and Deputy Director in securing funds for the organization’s work through direct solicitation, direct mail, social media and small events.
- Work with the Executive Director to ensure that the organization’s technology and voter contact tools are as up-to-date as possible.
- Strong commitment to reproductive rights and justice
- Strong organizing experience, at least one year/election cycle working for a statewide campaign and at least one year/legislative cycle working with the Oregon legislature
- At least three years managing a field/organizing program including managing staff/interns
- Ability to create work plans to support legislative and policy goals in ways that build the organization’s effectiveness and influence over time.
- Understanding of grassroots organizing and how to increase political influence with strategic mobilization of issue supporters.
- Working knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research and how to incorporate key findings from polling and focus groups into political messaging.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including oral presentations to groups of varying sizes
- Self-motivated and able to adapt to swiftly changing dynamics
- Working knowledge of political and electoral environment of Oregon
- Demonstrated ability to organize in diverse communities and work within a coalition
- Superior work ethic
- Strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects, and think strategically
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically to build positive relationships with coalition partners, candidates, elected officials, staff, volunteers, board members, and NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon members
- Extensive experience with and the ability to train on the Voter File (VAN) and EveryAction (NGPVAN) database/outreach program
- Mastery of social media platforms (including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram)
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Must have reliable transportation, current auto insurance and valid driver’s license
Salary and overall compensation will be commensurate with the experience and background of the successful applicant, and is competitive within the nonprofit landscape. NARAL offers a professional work environment, a generous benefits package including: health, dental vision, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, a retirement plan, a generous paid time off plan and opportunities for professional development.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Jill Wantland, Deputy Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 17, 2017, with ‘Political Director’ in the subject line. No calls please. NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically accepts applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
NARAL ProChoice Oregon Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All positions must contribute to an atmosphere and organizational initiative in which diversity in all its dimensions is valued and supported.