Are you deeply worried, angry, or otherwise unhappy about the current state of our country and the Commonwealth? Do you keep score of progressive policy gains and setbacks? Are you eager to jump into the debate to advance policies to support women and families across Virginia? So are we. You may be a perfect fit for our team of “repro warriors” if you get up every day – despite Donald Trump’s latest maddening twitter tirade – ready to drive forward the change we seek in the world.
NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia seeks a full-time Director of Policy & Communications to advance our state-level advocacy, organizing, and political work for reproductive rights and health care access. The director will be the strategic brain of NPCV’s policy, legislative and communications programming. Our ideal candidate will have a breadth of experience and demonstrated success in legislative advocacy and/or issue-based campaigns; exceptional written and verbal communication skills; an aptitude for strategic thinking; and the organizational skills to manage themselves and others to implement various policy and communication strategies to achieve our goals and fulfill our mission every day.
NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia (NPCV) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and advancing reproductive rights and health care access at the state level through policy advocacy, grassroots activism, and political organizing. With the support of tens of thousands of member activists, we build political power for pro-choice Virginians and work to ensure every woman can make the personal reproductive health care decisions that are best for herself and her family – including preventing unintended pregnancy, having healthy pregnancies and births, and accessing abortion.
NPCV is an independent state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America and is made up of three entities: our main 501(c)(4) issue advocacy and political arm, the 501(c)(3) NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia Foundation oversees our policy and education programming, and the NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia Political Action Committee. Our staff of 10 is located across a central office in Old Town Alexandria, Va. and satellite offices in Richmond and Hampton Roads.
What you’ll do
- Set the strategy and plan for our policy and communications work based on Virginia’s political climate and lessons-learned across the country. You’ll routinely calibrate that strategy as opportunities or obstacles present themselves, and will advise partner organizations at the local, state, and national levels.
- Advance our agenda in the General Assembly, local governments, and with key stakeholders. You will draft, analyze, and shape legislation and policy materials to drive forward results. You’ll develop and cultivate relationships that will prove key to promoting reproductive freedom for all Virginians. And you will represent the organization at events and in coalition partnerships.
- Direct our communications. You’ll generate creative ideas for messages and thoughtfully crafted content. You will manage and coordinate others to ensure the timely and strategic deployment to advance our policy agenda. Your ideas and messaging will build an external narrative that advances our policy goals and informs and motivates our grassroots base.
To be successful in this job, you are exceptional in these five areas:
- Communication– Your words inspire action – winning over legislators and partners alike through your persuasive verbal and written communication skills. You confidently distill complex information and advance our messages in the media, in legislative committees and other public spaces, in a clear, culturally competent manner.
- Strategic Thinking & Judgment– Advancing our policy agenda requires strategic planning and routine calibration. You understand what it takes to win over support and maintain that support to achieve results.
- Relationship Building– You quickly connect with others and partner to achieve results. You pride yourself on bringing allies together to solve complex problems. You are seen as the leader in the room.
- Results Orientation– Winning is your end goal. And you have the accomplishments to show for it. You have overcome roadblocks before, and you are eager to do it again.
- Project Management– You expertly orchestrate the implementation of multiple projects. Meeting deadlines is second nature to you–you plan backwards and anticipate obstacles.
What you should know
We are a culture of progressive people deeply committed to reproductive rights and freedom and we are eager to defend and advance those rights. We work in a fast-paced, team-oriented culture, and are frequently (and calmly) multi-tasking and collaborating to meet deadlines. We welcome your bold ideas and experience in communications, public policy development, and/or lobbying.
You will be based out of our Richmond bureau and will report to the executive director. Your salary and benefits are competitive for the marketplace. Starting compensation is high-$50k’s to mid-60k’s (commensurate with experience), plus a stipend towards health insurance, SIMPLE IRA retirement plan, and generous paid time off. We require some travel and evening and weekend hours, and expect proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Power Point and other PC programs. This position is full-time exempt (40 hours).
We are an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups.
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Subject line: “Policy & Communications Director– [Your Name]”
Your cover letter should address the qualifications listed above and why you are interested in joining our powerful team. We will review candidates on a rolling basis, so if you are interested, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. No calls please.
NARAL ProChoice Virginia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All positions must contribute to an atmosphere and organizational initiative in which diversity in all its dimensions is valued and supported.