For fifty years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion. Powered by more than 2.5 million members from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, NARAL Pro-Choice America represents the more than seven in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when and how to raise a family. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: Director of Opposition Research
Positions Reporting to this Position: N/A
This Position is: Union Level II, Non-Exempt
Salary range is: $41,000-$48,000
Summary: The Opposition Research Associate will work to create and coordinate research projects across NARAL’s national and state offices, studying the radical anti-choice movement’s strategies and key actors and providing crucial information for NARAL’s campaigns and communications. They will be responsible for conducting long-term research projects on the anti-choice movement, monitoring anti-choice media, and drafting research briefs. They will be expected to produce long-term and rapid-response research in conjunction with ongoing reproductive rights campaigns.
Support the Opposition Research Department in creating, organizing, and disseminating research for NARAL’s national office and state-based affiliate network:
- Create long-term and rapid response research briefs identifying the most effective narrative against an anti-choice target and compiling, writing, and editing the research to present to internal stakeholders, coalition partners, and the media.
- Identify new research and intelligence gathering opportunities, in conjunction with NARAL departments, stakeholders, and the Director of Research.
- Monitor media coverage of key opposition actors and allies, and provide analysis and recommendations for turning that research into effective advocacy.
- Find opportunities to update NARAL’s existing research and ensure we have the most accurate, actionable intelligence available.
- Oversee the maintenance of an internal database that compiles research into a user-friendly, accessible system for the entire NARAL network.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong record of performing qualitative research professionally or academically;
- Prior experience producing opposition research in politics, advocacy campaigns, or communications/media is highly preferable;
- Knowledge of and strong commitment to reproductive rights issues and NARAL Pro-Choice America’s mission and goals;
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills, particularly in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong organizational and leadership skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Comfortable prioritizing and producing a variety of high-profile projects simultaneously;
- Ability to produce concrete results with minimal supervision;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strong ability to work effectively both individually and in a team.
- Clear understanding of, and commitment to, NARAL’s mission and goals.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please send a resume, substantive cover letter and a writing sample to:
Subject line: Opposition Research Associate