As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than 2 million member activists from all 50 states and network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
If you’re a communications professional who wants to be on fight for the rights of women and families across the country, then you belong at NARAL. Our press shop seeks a Press Secretary to become an integral part of our team working to expand and protect access to reproductive freedom, including abortion. We are looking for someone who is comfortable speaking with press, is a strong writer, eager to work collaboratively with other departments, as well as with NARAL affiliates in the states, and who will generate press opportunities for the organization and the President. The ideal candidate will be organized, resourceful, an excellent writer and communicator and have a good understanding of the news cycle and media. This position works on multiple projects at once and requires the ability to execute critical thinking in a fast-paced environment. This is not an entry level position and requires a flexible work schedule, an eagerness to assist on any task, and a good sense of humor.
- Manage incoming press requests from state media, and national media;
- Develop communication strategies for NARAL Pro-Choice America affiliates, in coordination with affiliate and national staff;
- Help draft op-eds, letters to the editor, press releases, and talking points on a variety of issues related to NARAL’s mission;
- Pitch stories and facilitate interviews to state and national media;
- Develop relationships with reporters and press nationally and in the states;
- Generate ideas for national and state stories;
- Manage projects for the Communications Department, to include collaborative work with other departments, and liaising with outside groups
- Manage and directs press events and outreach in states and nationally, as needed;
- Monitoring national and state news;
- Coordinate and assist with promotion of communications events;
- Some administrative duties;
- Manage all media contact lists;
- Staff senior leadership at press events.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 3-5 years in media-relations experience;
- Actively follows the news cycle and understands how the media operates;
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills;
- Excellent writing and research skills;
- Attention to detail and accuracy;
- Commitment to NARAL Pro-Choice America’s goal of building a political constituency to protect and promote the right of all women to exercise the full range of their reproductive choices, including abortion;
- A commitment to contributing to a workplace environment in which diversity is valued and supported;
- Spanish language fluency is a plus.
Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: Deputy Communications Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: N/A
This Position is: Exempt Non-Union Management Level: III
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Press Secretary [Firstname Lastname]”