As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
Along with more than 2 million member activists from all 50 states and network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
NARAL Pro-Choice America is seeking a highly strategic, savvy campaigner to join our team as Senior Campaign Manager at a critical moment for our organization and the reproductive rights movement. With President Trump successfully stacking the Supreme Court with anti-choice nominees like Brett Kavanaugh, the threats to abortion access and other reproductive rights have never been greater. At the same time, after the 2018 elections, we have major new opportunities to not just protect, but advance, reproductive rights at the state level that would have profound impacts on women and people across the U.S. and could have ripple effects federally.
The Senior Campaign Manager will work closely with the Campaign Director to ensure the successful design and implementation of NARAL campaigns—including our ambitious, new 50-state campaign to protect and expand access to abortion at the state level. The Senior Campaign Director will support long and short-term campaign planning and budgeting and will manage four NARAL chapter directors to develop strategic campaign plans to advance the mission and vision of the organization. S/he will also will hold primary responsibility for working with NARAL’s Affiliate Network to enhance our combined strategic programming, ensure that NARAL’s investments in the networks are strategic, and recommend and implement projects that help strengthen the network and the relationship of the affiliate network to NARAL Pro-Choice America (NPCA).
- Work with the Campaign Director to develop long and short-term strategic campaign plans and budgets for the organization.
- Work with Campaign Director to build a strong campaigns team and ensure campaign department deliverables are met.
- Create and manage execution of short-term campaigns to support NARAL’s long-term goals and advance our mission.
- Manage NARAL chapter states and oversee chapter state plans.
- Work in coordination with state chapter directors to develop work and campaign plans for the entire state teams.
- Ensure that the chapters are well-resourced and that relevant NARAL Pro-Choice America staff are fully involved and looped in with the work and moving program.
- Ensure that the chapter work is fully integrated in larger NARAL programs and ongoing day-to-day goals and priorities.
- Staff, manage and support the Affiliate Network.
- Periodic travel to states is required.
- Recommend and implement projects that help strengthen the network and the relationship of the network to NPCA.
- Ensure that NARAL’s investments in the network are strategic.
- At least 8 years of experience in senior and strategic campaign/advocacy roles, with a strong preference for field and political experience.
- Strong management skills and demonstrated experience with professional development as well as ability to build, motivate, mentor, and supervise a campaign team of six or more.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Comfortable working in high-pressure environments.
- Highly relational; willing to represent NARAL externally at events.
- Superior skills at development and execution of strategic plans, including identifying and tracking metrics, benchmarks, and success indicators.
- Excellent meeting facilitator and skilled at moving disparate pieces of a conversation toward resolution. Listens well to others, knows how to integrate multiple ideas into a concise outcome.
- Committed to team building and training, and empowering junior members of the team for success.
- Clear communicator.
- Maintains high quality of work under tight time constraints.
- Commitment to NARAL Pro-Choice America’s mission and goals.
- A commitment to contributing to a workplace environment in which diversity is valued and supported.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Campaign Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: 4 State Chapter Directors; 1 Affiliate Liaison
This Position is: Full-time, Exempt, Non-Union, Level IV
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to:
Subject line: Senior Campaign Manager