For 50 years, NARAL has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion.
NARAL is powered by our more than 2.3 million members — in every state and congressional district. We represent the more than seven in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when, and how to raise a family.
We organize and mobilize in neighborhoods, communities, cities, and states, galvanizing millions of people to take action to defend reproductive freedom in the face of unprecedented attacks.
We are the oldest and largest national membership organization primarily focused on advocating for abortion access. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.
We are looking for a creative and experienced Senior Writer to join the communications team at NARAL. This person will craft compelling messages and produce high-quality written content for a range of audiences, advancing our mission to safeguard reproductive freedom.
The ideal candidate is organized, resourceful, and flexible, with excellent writing and editing skills and a good understanding of the news cycle and media environment as well as best practices of storytelling. This person will work on multiple projects at once and requires the ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
Duties include implementing a variety of communication products and tools and writing a range of content and collateral including, but not limited to, op-eds, press releases, talking points, memos, and other materials as needed, in both a long-term and a rapid response capacity.
You’ll be a great fit if you’re passionate about reproductive freedom, with 6-10 years of professional writing experience and a commitment to working collaboratively and helping contribute to a positive and high-impact workplace.
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: National Communications Director
This Position Is: Full-time, Exempt, Non-Union
Salary Range: $75,000- $90,000, depending on experience
- Develop compelling communications for a range of audiences, including writing op-eds, quotes for press inquiries, speeches and remarks for NARAL’s president, memos for internal and external distribution, press releases, video scripts, and talking points to guide NARAL’s organization-wide communications;
- Craft content and stories that inspire and engage a variety of audiences to shape public discourse around issues of reproductive freedom;
- Contribute to NARAL’s storytellers/storybanking program to amplify the voices of women and families who are directly affected by issues of reproductive rights and healthcare;
- Work with the Communications Director and Vice President of Communications and Strategic Research to ensure message consistency across organizational departments and channels;
- Edit research reports, development proposals, digital organizing and fundraising emails, and campaign materials as needed, with an eye towards compelling storytelling and message cohesiveness;
- Stay abreast of and well-versed on latest trends and information about a wide range of reproductive healthcare and rights issues, NARAL’s organizational priorities and political endorsements, and or policy recommendations;
- Refine and manage an editorial style guide, ensuring consistency in organizational communications;
- Develop trainings and resources for NARAL staff, affiliates, and members to help equip colleagues with messages and template materials to assist in their work;
- And other duties as assigned.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and strong news judgment;
- 6-10 years experience writing and/or editing with a proven track record of driving narratives and executing high-quality communications work in a fast-paced environment;
- Strategic thinker who can see the big picture – and how concept, strategy, and language all fit together for effective communications;
- Passion for news and storytelling and a demonstrated understanding of mechanics of story pitching, placement, and amplification”;
- Demonstrated creativity and strategic thinking in a range of communications projects;
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit material quickly and persuasively while ensuring factual accuracy and clarity of presentation, with impeccable attention to detail and a firm grasp of AP style;
- Ability to translate complex issues into everyday, memorable language;
- Organized self-starter with strong time management and strategic planning skills, with the ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Knowledgeable about the traditional and digital media landscapes and different mechanisms for storytelling and narrative-shaping;
- A commitment to contributing to a workplace environment in which diversity is valued and supported;
- Willing to work as a team member and to contribute to a positive team environment;
- Commitment to NARAL Pro-Choice America’s goal of ensuring every person is able to make their own decisions about pregnancy and preserving abortion rights;
- Campaign experience as well as coalition experience a plus, as is prior experience writing for a principal;
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree in journalism preferred.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to:
Subject line: NARAL Senior Writer
NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer. All our positions require a sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences.