For fifty years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion. Powered by more than 2.5 million members from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, NARAL Pro-Choice America represents the more than seven in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when and how to raise a family. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
Reports To: Digital Director
This Position is: Exempt, Non-union, Full-Time, Salary Employee
Salary range: $60,000 – $68,000
The Social Media Strategist position is part of NARAL Pro-Choice America’s dynamic Digital Team and manages our social media communications. This position collaborates with the Digital team and works cross-departmentally to plan and implement NARAL Pro-Choice America’s social media communications, including overseeing daily creation and production of content for our multiple channels, developing social and web content for key campaigns and initiatives, and reviewing metrics to evaluate our success and recommend changes. The Social Media Strategist also plays a key role in recommending tactics to expand our reach, overseeing social media coalition collaboration and providing sample social content to NARAL leadership, partners, influencers, affiliates and chapters.
Responsibilities: include but are not limited to:
- Serve as lead digital staff person in drafting and posting all content to NARAL Pro-Choice America’s social channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and others) including writing copy for graphics and constantly monitoring new developments, trends, and breaking news. Identify opportunities for NARAL to intervene in false narratives or contribute to trending conversations.
- Serve as lead digital staff person for live social media coverage (live tweeting, etc.) of all events in which NARAL has a demonstrated interest, including rallies, political debates and any other events where a NARAL presence is deemed critical.
- Propose, develop and manage social media campaigns around key NARAL initiatives and events. Identify strategic opportunities to engage with our users on social media in fresh and unique ways.
- Lead on managing our community of online supporters through comment moderation, responding to inquiries, and directing supporters to appropriate staff; oversee the direct correspondence with supporters and enforcing our social media policy.
- Craft and oversee the preparation of reports tracking and analyzing our social media activities and effectiveness; using the findings to continually improve our outreach and interactions.
- Seek opportunities to provide sample social content to NARAL affiliates and chapters on NARAL-affiliated events and moments. Serve as the approver for Chapter and Affiliate social media content that is written by national staff.
- Serve as the point person alongside Digital Director for identifying or creating coalition social media actions, such as tweet storms/chats and work with partners, members of Congress and other key players to grow participation in such events. Take the lead on writing and providing sample social media content and graphics for other organizations and key individuals.
- Work with Opposition Research to increase the promotion of NARAL’s unique position as a reproductive freedom organization with a comprehensive team of opposition researchers and inform our members of attacks from the anti-choice movement.
- Proactively escalate issues, observations, opportunities, and insights sourced from social media to the digital team.
- Prioritizing, recommending, and implementing best practices for diversity, equity, and inclusion across NARAL’s national social media channels.
- Train NARAL organizers and fellows on social media best practices to expand the reach of our grassroots work.
- Assist with the management of NARAL photograph library; upload photos from photographers taken at NARAL events to relevant channels (Flickr, Facebook, etc).
- Manage the Social Media Intern and other interns and staff as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of social media or content creation experience required.
- Must have strong writing, communication, organizational, and time management skills.
- Must be a power user of social media.
- Attention to detail is critical.
- Familiarity with social media tracking tools preferred.
- A strong interest in politics and policy is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required.
- Clear understanding of NARAL’s mission and goals and a commitment to upholding that mission in all public communications.
- Must be pro-choice.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and a substantive cover letter to:
Subject line: Social Media Strategist
Deadline to apply: January 1, 2020