As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access. Along with more than 2.5 million member activists from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, NARAL works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive freedoms. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front lines for true reproductive freedom, and shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
Location: Orange County, California
Reports To: Southern California Organizer
This Position is: Non-exempt, Non-management, Non-Union; Part-Time 15-20 hours per week for 12 weeks with potential for extension. Compensated at $15.59/hr.
The Southern California Organizing Intern supports NARAL campaigns and projects through grassroots organizing, collaboration with staff and external stakeholders, social media, and administrative support.
- Facilitating grassroots organizing and member engagement in support of legislative and political campaigns
- Phonebanking and textbanking for member turnout and legislative support
- Planning and leading member engagement socials and events
- Organizing in-district and Sacramento lobby days
- Organizing tabling & member recruitment opportunities
- Building relationships with coalition organizations
- Supporting NARAL Pro-Choice California’s Southern California Action Councils, with a focus in Orange County
- Working with the Southern California Organizer in planning and supporting the Action Councils, which are in Orange County, Los Angeles, Inland Empire and Antelope Valley
- Attendance of meetings and participation in organizing efforts
- Participation in tabling, planning events, and organizing rapid response actions
- General administrative duties as needed
- Organized with great attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work with a wide variety of people, anticipate needs, prioritize, and handle a variety of projects
- A reliable method of transportation required
- A strong interest in electing pro-choice candidates to office and passing pro-choice legislation is required
- Organizing or electoral experience is a plus
- Ability to speak Spanish, Vietnamese or Mandarin is a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to protecting reproductive freedom
- A strong interest in the political and policy-making process
- Currently enrolled in or recently completed an accredited undergraduate or graduate degree program. Recent graduates cannot be more than 6 months past their graduation upon start date.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google Drive preferred
- Experience with VAN helpful but not required
- General computer proficiency
- Access to a car and ability to travel within Orange County
- At least 12 week commitment
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please submit a one-page cover letter and resume. Cover letters should be substantive and stating why you want to work at NARAL. All materials should be submitted through our online portal at:
For questions or problems with the form please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: SoCal Organizing Intern