For fifty years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion. Powered by more than 2.5 million members from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, NARAL Pro-Choice America represents the more than seven in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when and how to raise a family. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
NARAL Pro-Choice America seeks a State Campaigns Director to lead work and internal coordination on state campaign strategy and outcomes and contribute expertise in campaign planning, budgeting, and evaluation to the Campaigns Department.
Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: National Campaigns Director
This Position Is: Full-time, Exempt, Non-Union, Level VI
Salary Range: $115,000 – $132,000 Depending on Experience
The State Campaigns Director is responsible for leading internal collaboration, coordination, and outcomes for state campaigns. This includes: (1) overseeing NARAL’s structure of cross-departmental state campaign “pod” teams to ensure strong collaboration, prioritization, and campaign planning and execution; (2) serving as nexus for all state-focused work, including with Chapter/Regional Directors and Affiliates; and (3) managing NARAL’s biggest state-legislative campaign, Reality of Roe, to secure victories for reproductive freedom in state legislatures around the country.
The State Campaigns Director will contribute to the work of the Campaigns Department by assisting in state and national campaigns, particularly in rapid response moments, as needs arise, and will work closely with the National Campaigns Director on campaign planning, budgeting, and evaluation of new campaign ideas.
The State Campaigns Director serves as a senior leader within NARAL responsible for managing relationships with those closest to state campaigns work, including overseeing a team of state and regional campaigns directors and serving as lead point person for effective communications and collaboration with NARAL’s network of state Affiliates.
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned campaigner, an exceptional manager, and a collaborative leader with experience managing state-level issue advocacy and electoral campaigns. The candidate must possess a nuanced understanding of complex political landscapes and the ability to oversee NARAL’s “pod” structure of regional campaign teams to ensure best practices in meeting campaign goals. They will coordinate closely with NARAL departments, including with Government Relations, Political, Communications, Organizing, and Digital.
1. Lead state campaign strategy, oversight, and coordination
- Lead NARAL’s overall state campaign strategy, including short and long-term state campaign goals, strategy, and plans.
- Lead internal collaboration on NARAL’s state campaigns work, including regular evaluation and consideration of new techniques and processes.
- Oversee NARAL’s regional campaign cross-departmental ‘pod’ teams focused on collaboration and successful implementation of legislative and electoral state campaigns.
- Identify opportunities to advance state-campaigns work; vet proposals for state-campaigns work and work with the National Campaigns Director to ensure alignment with NARAL priorities and staff capacity.
- Collaboratively plan, manage, and oversee implementation of NARAL’s biggest state-legislative campaign, Reality of Roe, to secure victories for reproductive freedom in state legislatures around the country.
- Responsible for collaborating with the Political and Government Relations teams to build and sustain relationships with decision-makers and other external stakeholders to advance NARAL’s advocacy agenda.
- Regularly reports up to National Campaigns Director on progress on state-campaigns and in the pod system.
2. Direct management & relationship Management, including with NARAL Affiliates
- Manage a team including NARAL’s Senior Campaign Manager the state and regional campaign directors.
- Leads work to enhance communication and collaboration with NARAL’s affiliate network, including coordinating with other leaders and teams at NARAL, managing grant making opportunities, and identifying and testing new ways to foster stronger relationships and collaboration.
- Create a positive, inspiring team environment in which team members can learn, receive regular feedback, and thrive; performance manage staff for strong results.
- Coordinate with coalition partners at the state and national level.
3. Campaign management & Leadership on Campaigns Team
- Work closely with the National Campaigns Director on campaign planning, budgeting, evaluation, and vetting of new campaign ideas.
- May directly manage state or national campaigns, especially in rapid response moments.
- Other assigned as needed
- Experience working on national campaigns, in addition to state-level campaigns, a plus.
- Experience and knowledge of reproductive issues a plus.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- At least seven years of experience working on or directing state campaigns, with a focus on issue advocacy state legislative campaigns.
- Exceptional management skills and several years’ management experience, with a demonstrated ability to coach and mentor individuals and teams to meet ambitious goals.
- Demonstrated ability to lead collaboratively across departments and identify best-practices for matrix management/indirect line management.
- Deep understanding of organizing strategies and the powerful role grassroots engagement (both offline and online) plays in advocating for policy change.
- Highly developed strategic problem solving and execution skills; ability to achieve excellence and meet multiple goals and deadlines within a complex landscape and fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated success communicating complex political strategies to diverse audiences (both internal and external).
- Demonstrated experience managing partnerships and relationships at the national, state and local level.
- Ability to travel on behalf of the organization throughout the country as needed.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required.
- Commitment to NARAL’s mission and goals.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line State Campaigns Director.
The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.