Take Action

Elizabeth C.

Abortion Access

My story is quite simple.

My husband and I had been faithfully and correctly using birth control for almost 13 years. We’d forgotten it only once, resulting in the birth of our second child in 2005. However, in spite of proper use, that birth control failed again in 2015.

After learning I was pregnant for the 3rd time, my husband and I sat down to discuss our options and what a new child would mean for our family. Money was tight, our marriage was struggling, and at nearly 40, I didn’t feel that I could handle another pregnancy and childbirth. At the end of our discussion, my husband said, “We’ve never considered this before, but do you want this child?” I replied simply, “No.” He said he didn’t either, but that he’d support any decision I made.


At the end of our discussion, my husband said, “We’ve never considered this before, but do you want this child?” I replied simply, “No.”

Elizabeth C.
NARAL Member

Even though it was his child, he recognized that the decision was ultimately mine. Living in Nevada, we didn’t have to deal with unreasonable restrictions. There were no protesters to meet us at the clinic. The only obstacle we faced was that no providers in the area took my insurance. So, we had to pay the $500 out of pocket. I made the appointment for that Thursday, so that I wouldn’t miss any work, less than a week after discovering I was pregnant.

At the clinic, I received a trans-vaginal ultrasound to verify how far along I was: 4 weeks. The blastocyst was about the size of a sesame seed, and is exactly what it looked like. At such an early stage, a medical abortion was my only option. I took the first pill at the clinic and was told most women don’t start bleeding heavily until after taking the second pill the next day. I’m not most women and started bleeding heavily enough that I had to leave work early Friday. The pain didn’t start until after I took the second pill. It hurt, but was no worse than cramps amplified by food poisoning.

I was glad for the pain medication the doctor had prescribed me. Then, it was over. I bled for about 3 weeks and then everything returned to normal. I admit some initial doubt that we were making the correct decision, but was willing to accept that doubt. After about a year, that doubt has disappeared. During the process, I didn’t feel alone because my husband was right there with me.

Everyone should be able to decide if, when, how, and with whom they start or grow a family.

Sign the Petition
By taking this action you are affirming your membership in NARAL Pro-Choice America. What's this?
By providing your phone number, you are consenting to receive mobile alerts from NARAL Pro Choice America at 59791. Message and data rates apply. Frequency varies. Text STOP to end. Text HELP for help. Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions.